Shars vs discount_machine

I spent about $3,000 on Shars products, and I am convinced that they “want to pay for junk to be produced”.

That was your decision to spend that much at Shars for measuring tools from Shars, nope not me & not ever. You may think they are junk all you want & that may true but stop preaching it here, it serves no purpose.

Cheap economy tools have their place. Not everyone can afford quality tools all the time. Not everyone will buy an expensive quality tool that may not get used much. Point is they work, how well they work is a different story.

I worked 65 hours a week for 3 months. I would buy something almost every day. It was about 12 micrometers, gage block sets, angle blocks, angle plate, tap guide, center finder, dial calipers, combination square, boring head, boring bars, (test) dial indicators, fly cutter, machinist square, thread pitch gauges, fishtail, 1-2-3 blocks, sine bar, telescoping gauges, dividers, etc. In other words, items that are found in a machinist’s tool chest.

Last edited:
That was your decision to spend that much at Shars for measuring tools from Shars, nope not me & not ever. You may think they are junk all you want & that may true but stop preaching it here, it serves no purpose.

Cheap economy tools have their place. Not everyone can afford quality tools all the time. Not everyone will buy an expensive quality tool that may not get used much. Point is they work, how well they work is a different story.

The digital electronic micrometers and inside micrometers are not repeatable, and many gage blocks are out of spec when measured with Starrett micrometers.

I really don’t think that Shars stuff is good enough even for hobby machining. Quality used items can be found for the same or less money. I don’t think that buying junk is ever a good value.

I participated but I'm realizing we're probably bringing this thread a bit too off topic. We still haven't figured out why discount_machine is routinely cheaper than the shars website, though we've talked about why they have an ebay presence in the first place. I think if we want to continue the chinese vs non-chinese discussion we should make a new thread.

The digital electronic micrometers and inside micrometers are not repeatable, and many gage blocks are out of spec when measured with Starrett micrometers.

So did you return them? Also trying to verify the accuracy of gage blocks with a micrometer is not reliable. Just because it's a Starrett micrometer doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure what your method of testing was but there are many variables that can affect the reading. Starrett makes their share of junk too BTW.

I participated but I'm realizing we're probably bringing this thread a bit too off topic. We still haven't figured out why discount_machine is routinely cheaper than the shars website, though we've talked about why they have an ebay presence in the first place. I think if we want to continue the chinese vs non-chinese discussion we should make a new thread.

Discount Machine on eBay is Shars. It is almost never returned products.

Prices may be listed higher on their website so that it looks like a great deal on eBay. I bought all of my Shars stuff from Discount Machine on eBay.

Last edited:
So did you return them? Also trying to verify the accuracy of gage blocks with a micrometer is not reliable. Just because it's a Starrett micrometer doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure what you method of testing was but there are many variables that can affect the reading. Starrett makes their share of junk too BTW.

I didn’t return anything. I never saved the packaging, and months had passed before I realized the level of quality.

Also, I could not in good conscience sell them to someone else.

Like I said, I use them for roughing & as beaters.

No, no one should. It's a useless debate that will get no where & often doesn't end well. I do agree that this has gone far off topic and for what.

Maybe someone who reads it may choose to buy used quality items. That is the last thing that I will say of this.

As mentioned Discount Machine is the outlet for Shars on eBay. Be sure to compare prices from both places before making an order. Often times Shars is less expensive due to shipping costs and sales. I have purchased a number of items from each location and never had problems with quality. I have had a couple items come damaged. All they ask is that you take a picture of the damaged part and email it to them. They quickly send a replacement. If they want the old item returned you can use the box the new one came in and attach a return label they provide.

Our local technical school used to provide Starrett instruments for the students to use when in class. Unfortunately all to many of them disappeared or were "lost". To keep within budget constraints they now provide Shars tools. Not nearly as many tools get "lost" and it's less expensive to replace them.

Most times the items sold on eBay are high volume items they order by the truck or container load. To sell them quickly they advertise them at both locations.

I you have a problem with any of their tooling give them a call. They are more than happy to replace anything defective or damaged. As a side note I've never purchased a measuring instrument from Shars or Discount Machine. All my metrology tools are Starrett, B&S, or Mitutoyo. I do have a few sets of HF calipers I use for measurements in the field. They're close enough to get the general idea of size, but I would never trust them when making a part.

Back