Shars vs discount_machine

Shars has treated me well. I buy suff I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. An example is that I now have about 20 BXA holders for my real Aloris tool post. I own about 5 Aloris holders and the rest are Shars. I wish they were all Aloris but at my level, I don't notice a functional difference. I would never be able to have 20 with out that option. I also have one of their "D-bit" tool grinders and besides it being gigantic time suck is reasonable quality for I paid. My test indicators are Interapid, B&S and Mitutoyo but my little used sign bar is Shars. I wish I could afford the same from Starrett and I buy used stuff when I can. a present example is that I need an MT 4 bull nose live center and feel confident they will supply me with one which serves my need and be affordable. I'm open to other suggestions.

Shars has treated me well. I buy suff I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. An example is that I now have about 20 BXA holders for my real Aloris tool post. I own about 5 Aloris holders and the rest are Shars. I wish they were all Aloris but at my level, I don't notice a functional difference. I would never be able to have 20 with out that option. I also have one of their "D-bit" tool grinders and besides it being gigantic time suck is reasonable quality for I paid. My test indicators are Interapid, B&S and Mitutoyo but my little used sign bar is Shars. I wish I could afford the same from Starrett and I buy used stuff when I can. a present example is that I need an MT 4 bull nose live center and feel confident they will supply me with one which serves my need and be affordable. I'm open to other suggestions.

Check out Z Live Center’s website for a bull nose live center. You can buy just the size (diameter range) that you need:

I have ordered a bunch from Shars and have been happy with the quality. I think their DTI's are the best bang for the buck.

I’m sorry but I can’t help it. Is that the same as “bang” and STD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purposely look for Shars tools on ebay when I'm buying Chinese. They have been consistently good quality. The mt4 to ER40 collet chuck i bought from them is really accurate. Everything I've bought from them has been very decent.

I like Shars. Buying From EBay is cheaper than from the website if you’re just buying one item. But if you’re buying a number of items, you do better from the Shars website. Like if buying a lathe chuck, backing plate, and a few other items... I think it’ll be cheaper to buy directly from Shars Website. I like Shars. Never had a problem yet from their stuff. Can’t say the same about buying things from EBay.

I must have 3 R8-Er32 collet chucks. The first two crap. Finally got a good one from Amazon. At the time....Shars was out of those.

I think Shars makes reliable basic stuff. I got their QCTP for my 9" lathe and its been working perfectly for a year. Parallels are accurate, angle blocks, R8 collets all good. Almost everything by any company is made by CNC machines - simple stuff made by them is fine. My work only needs accuracy to a couple thou. Whats the worry? I would not buy indicators - anything thats takes careful assembly I'm buying old and US/European if I can find it/afford it. 123 blocks? Shars- mine measure perfectly. Why spend more? I'm not making parts to tenths.

I just got two sets of 123 blocks and a 12" digital caliper from them and all check out well. The thumb wheel on the caliper is a little loosey goosey, but functions just fine. If it really annoys me, I may make a small bushing for it. Mike

Jebus Mike if you measure Shars blocks with Shars calipers you could fall into a yin yang rabbit hole of successive converging errors!

;-o

Back