Sheetmetal dreams.

nice work.

Those kinds double reverse curves are the stuff of nightmares. Kent White and Wray Scheline are masters of that kind of stuff. Kent has done planes and collector cars with that stuff all done by him.
Kent did the reproduction cowling for the DGA-8, that was way beyond my abilities!

One of the reasons I used the DGA-15 intersection fairings was because I have not done any 'real' reverse curves from scratch. The welding on those parts was magical! People back in the thirties were very skilled!

1633919709665.png

My avatar is from my honeymoon in 1991, My boss had bought Ken Flagor's GeeBee Y replica and I had flown it about 10 hours. The EAA was doing a "Golden Age of Air Racing" event at Oshkosh that year and I asked if we could bring it to that event. Probably the only time any couple had done a honeymoon trip in a GeeBee.

Wow, cool. It can hold two people?

So did they fix the stability problem the originals had? Or do you have mad skills or a death wish? :)

Did you gas weld them or TIG?
I only do TIG for aluminum and it has been decades since I've gas welded steel. I'd have to buy a bunch of better OA equipment and goggles to even learn how to gas weld AL. I did some tests and found TIG welds to be very ductile.

I only do TIG for aluminum and it has been decades since I've gas welded steel. I'd have to buy a bunch of better OA equipment and goggles to even learn how to gas weld AL. I did some tests and found TIG welds to be very ductile.
I’m a better OA welder than TIG. I got the whole kits Kent sells and messed with it but have never had an actual project, yet. I don’t own a TIG.

Wow, cool. It can hold two people?

So did they fix the stability problem the originals had? Or do you have mad skills or a death wish? :)
Yes. the Y model was a two seat airplane meant to be a sport plane more than a racer. It flies really well but it's a PITA on the ground, at least on pavement. The GeeBee Z is unstable in yaw (from what I've heard) but the Y isn't.

1633921041261.jpeg
That's me in the rear cockpit and Kathy in front. Brave girl!

I’m a better OA welder than TIG. I got the whole kits Kent sells and messed with it but have never had an actual project, yet. I don’t own a TIG.
I have Kent's flux for AL and I found it to work on AL TIG welds when used very sparingly. Too much and an orange glob covers the puddle making your welding a blind exercise. I got spoiled with TIG around 1978 and I never looked back.

Here I go making a bunch of long posts in Tony's thread. This is a description of the steps I used to create the baffles for the Howard DGA-8 wheels pants shown in the previous postings in the thread. This was originally posted on the Biplane Forum.
========================

Both wheel pants are welded and fairly well finished in terms of the aluminum shaping and planishing. The subject of this post will be the 'baffles' which are installed behind the tire to prevent mud/snow/water/ice from collecting in the aft part of the pants. There is no front baffle on the Howard pants since the tire is close to the front of the pant anyway.

The drawings for the pant show a location for the baffle which is very close to the tire opening and the tire itself. I'm going to let it sit a little farther aft to insure clearance and allow me the option of putting a doubler around the tire opening to stiffen it. Photos of a mangled original seem to show they doubled the opening edges and these are pretty thin on our pants even though we're using .063" material instead of .050". Locating the baffle on the pant itself was a bit of a PITA but it's doesn't have to be perfect considering its function. Once I got some reference lines inside and outside the pant I made a template of the outside to use as a guide to produce the forming block. The outside template is nice but you have to offset the profile enough to allow for two thicknesses of metal plus some springback. And you have to expect the first part to be 'close but no cigar' which will tell you what changes need to be made to the form block to get the baffle the correct shape and size.

1635647921778.png

The template was done in two halves, then glued together. I didn't like the accuracy so I added some Bondo to the edges to fill the gaps -- apply Bondo the the edge, stick some waxed paper over the Bondo, then slide it onto the pant.

1635648255935.png

After the Bondo cured I sanded the excess off so the template would lay flat.

1635648293475.png

Big gap to the template. Didn't start out that way but it was clear the form block was too large so I took a bunch more off. Maybe too much.... but good enough for a test part.

1635648338610.png

The block is 3/4" MDF. The dark color on the beveled edges of the block is polyester resin. I soaked the working edges with it and then did a final cleanup sanding. The resin makes the block tougher so it doesn't just crumble when you beat on it.

1635648414105.png

I used four 1/4-20 screws to join the two blocks. They keep some pressure on the panel and keep things lined up.

1635648441578.png

My high-tech tool assortment. The ball peen hammer is for use on the corking tools. The plastic hammer can be used directly on the metal. The little block with the modified pencil is my 1/8" offset marking tool. Probably needs to be more like 1/4".

1635648509646.png

The corking tools are;

A short piece of 1" FG rod, flat on one side and slightly rounded on the other. Both ends get used and the rod is tough enough that beating on it with a hammer does no harm.

The white (unknown type of) plastic wedge is great for forming tucks and shrinking but it needs to be re-shaped often due to wear.

The wood dowel has a slightly rounded face which also needs to be refreshed often. The hammer end has an aluminum tube pressed over it so the hammer blows don't destroy the wood too quickly.

I had serious concerns about being able to form the baffle without slitting and welding the tight radius corners. So I didn't document the first part of my adventures. But I did get away with it and I have one tight corner left so I'll show you folks how I did it.

1635648584206.png

This section is where I started. I had previously annealed the edge of the aluminum (3003) so it was nice and soft. It fought with me a little bit but I got the flange formed across the top of the part.

1635649767420.png

This one went too but I was glad I started with the easier one! The flat-ish sections in between the tight corners formed pretty easily.

Stay tuned, more to come..........

Last edited:
Back