Sheetmetal dreams.

The best space saving design I’ve seen was Williams Lo Buck Tools had basically a HD C frame and heads that plugged in to make it a EW, planishing hammer, louver press and I can’t remember what else. They were around for decades. They seem to have folded these last couple of years. Too bad.

I didn’t set out to get this big of EW. But when they quit offering the anvils at HF and anvils elsewhere would cost as much as the HF EW is started just doing my virtual vulture thing. This showed up on HF in Paso Robles about 45mi away. I think he started at $1k so it was easy to resist. But when it got down to $500 and all the smaller wheel were more than that I couldn’t resist. It is very HD with little flex. My main problem is it’s a 9” wheel, so nobody makes a rubber band for it, they are all 8” and smaller :(
I built a similar EW in 1985 from scratch. Did the anvil/wheels on the V13 with templates, files and sandpaper. Got them plated with nickel-cobalt which is pretty tough stuff and it avoids the surface rust you typically have to deal with. I had some bands made for my 8.5" upper from a custom band saw tire maker who welds polyurethane strips together to make the tires. They work fine but don't last forever (cracks after about 10 years). I still have and use this machine.

1633905726105.png

Last edited:
My EW the wheel and anvils were not really rusted, just not polished. They were easy to polish, it was the wheel that was a PIA. It’s solid 9”x3” so was enough a challenge just to move safely much less polish. I ended up budging something together and it works for me. Being close to the ocean I treat everything with Fluid Film and keep them covered. No rust, just wipe and go.

Thanks for the link on the band. How much was yours and how long did it take him to do it? Lasting 10yrs is great IMHO.

What kind of projects have you done with your EW?

My upper was made by mating a cast wheel from McMaster-Carr with a 3.5" long 1/2" wall 4140 tube which was shrunk over the cast wheel. I think I pressed an aluminum core inside the ID of the cast wheel that had the bearing bores already machined into them. That was mounted to an arbor mounted in the lathe that picked up the bearing bores for turning the OD. I used a similar method for all the rotating parts -- a core with 4140 tube on the OD for the working surface. The bearings are common to all those assemblies so the same arbor stayed in the lathe until they were all profiled and polished.

The upper is fairly light and has low inertia so it doesn't skid unless the pressure is very low and the panel is moved quickly. I did have to balance it with stick-on wheel weights because of the cast wheel's features not being symmetrical. I can remove/install it easily by myself.

I had bought tires for my bandsaw from him and asked if it was possible to get small/wide tires for the EW. He did a few prototypes for me for free but I don't remember him accepting any money for them.

The first parts I made with my EW were for the Collings Foundation's B-17. They were doing a rebuild after an accident and wanted a 'stinger tail' to replace the incorrect turret tail the airplane had been fitted with after it's fire bombing career was over. The problems were; 1) I had zero experience using the EW, 2) The airplane was in PA in I was in FL, and 3) I didn't know how to build a buck that would serve to make the four panels needed. Being young and fearless I just went for it anyway.....

1633915680436.png

1633915724065.png

The panels were made with plenty of overlap and by some miracle they fit. The airplane was recently lost to an accident but the parts I made survived. This work was done before I had really finished the EW and it was not yet painted. All the shaping was done on the EW.

Most recently I did some work on a Howard DGA-8. The wheel fairings were formed using hard female tooling and water pressure. I did the welding of the halves, etc but there was little EW work on those. The intersection fairings were from a different model Howard and were heavily damaged, The EW was put to use a lot on those fairings -- first to repair them and then to fit them to the DGA-8 landing gear. One thing I learned was that when you are using the EW on very soft aluminum the metal stretches way too readily. I made a plastic upper so I could smooth without imparting any additional shape.

1633916701467.png

1633916743010.png

1633916813803.png

In between I have done a few small projects but I still have a bunch to learn about the EW and metal shaping in general.

In between I have done a few small projects but I still have a bunch to learn about the EW and metal shaping in general.

WOW!
It looks like you know a bunch you could teach too!
-brino

When I went to school to get my A&P I never saw an English Wheel. Not until I got an old Ron Fournier book on building race cars did I see one. But never met anybody who even knew what they were, much less how to use one. In looking into the different guys on YouTube did I finally get it. But it’s a nuther thing to use it properly. When I got out of school the airlines had tanked so I never did work in the field. At one point I looked into volunteering out at the museum at Castle AFB but had no spare time with a job and kids.

Whats totally crazy is the guy I bought the EW from was in the AG dept at the same time I was in the Aero dept. He had used the EW to build a kit plane and hadn’t needed it for years.

The intersection fairings were from a different model Howard and were heavily damaged, The EW was put to use a lot on those fairings -- first to repair them and then to fit them to the DGA-8 landing gear.
nice work.

Those kinds double reverse curves are the stuff of nightmares. Kent White and Wray Scheline are masters of that kind of stuff. Kent has done planes and collector cars with that stuff all done by him.

I had some gray PVC that was about 1.25" thick. Worked fine. I've made a bunch of sheet metal forming tools from PVC which is easy to machine and holds up pretty well.

I could see that as you were saying it was light work.

What is up with the Gee Bee in your avatar? One of my favorite planes.

Back