Shop Heat

The only risk with PEX in a floor is when it is being installed and if someone would happen to puncture it. PEX can be froze and thawed with no issues. The issues would be where the fittings are or the boiler itself, hence the addition of anti freeze to the heat loop. Both my houses have/had anti freeze solution, yet we never anticipate our house getting below zero. I believe that the anti freeze may provide some lubricity to the pumps, but I am not 100% sure of that.

I have personnel experience with PEX freezing and breaking. When I installed these systems propelyne glycol was always used. Mike

It's interesting to see the opinions around the world relating to energy costs and the preferred heating fuel.
We had radiant heating in the shop when I lived a mile high in Lake Tahoe. Warm feet!! shop doors would close and in a few minutes it was warm.
The cost to run the gas boiler had the owner turning it down or off on a regular basis.
Our 1,900 sq. foot home in Northern California costs around $450 a month for energy.
We have natural gas for the water heater, HVAC and a gas range.
The swimming pool & spa cost over $100.
We have PG&E,-Pacific Gas and Electric. They start most of the wildfires due to their outdated and poor maintained equipment (according to the press)
I'm told our energy bill would be half what it is in other states.

I have to tee off of this fitting to lay yellow gas line to the shop.
1603035271724.png

Need to figure out connectors and sizes although I need 1" line.

This may be one of those jobs you farm out to a licensed plumber. Not because you can't do it but because your insurance company might deny an otherwise unrelated claim if you do gas line work and it's somehow not up to code and/or inspected. Obviously I don't know what your situation is but when I installed automatic standby generators I always used licensed pros. I could have easily done the gas and electrical but didn't want the liability.

John

But, assuming you are going to DIY and you can shut off the gas to the meter it'll just be black pipe with an adapter to the yellow. Make sure you install a drip leg to catch any smutz that comes through the main line and trench as deep as required. Also do whatever marking and protection over the line as required by code in your area.

John

It'll be run with electrical so no tracer is required. I will need to get another pressure regulator though.

I thought you weren't supposed to run copper line with natural gas? I remember my HVAC guy saying it would corrode eventually. Just something to check out.

Joe

Reznor overhead gas heater in new shop .... Last shop had the same one for 22 years no problems !!!

Back