Shop Heat

I thought you weren't supposed to run copper line with natural gas? I remember my HVAC guy saying it would corrode eventually. Just something to check out.

Joe
That is how they locate gas lines. A copper wire is buried with the gas line.

Oh and I need a pressure regulator also.

Guys I need some help on how to connect to my gas meter. The copper tube is my house service line. I will be using this riser which has a 1" MIP thread. Any ideas on what to use to do this.
1603241018772.png

#1 - If you're not comfortable with this please get a licensed plumber to do it properly, the consequences of doing it wrong can be very, very bad.

#2 - If you are doing it yourself you'll need a few short pieces of black pipe, the correct fittings, and the proper pipe dope or yellow Teflon tape. All this stuff is available at the local hardware store or wherever you're getting the underground pipe to run to your shop.

Here's a link to a guide from a utility company in New York.

Do bear in mind that if you're building a new shop and have pulled permits for it your local building department may have something to say about how utilities are run.

Cheers,

John

I was under the impression that you could not use black pipe outdoors.
Thanks for the link.

I live in Maryland and my workshop is in my attached garage. The house was built in the 50 so I have no idea if there's any insulation in the walls. I used one of these little plug-in heaters to keep the garage warmed up. Once everything gets warmed up it stays pretty temperature throughout the winter. I don't know how much it cost to run this thing throughout the winter but it isn't on all the time as far as I know. I'm a plug in one of those kilowatt meter things and see how much energy it uses during the course of the winter and figure out how much it cost

Attachments

• 16032880761245837512150000548452.jpg
    16032880761245837512150000548452.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I am not familiar with these new Gas Flex Lines. But if it were me, I would include a shutoff value at the tee that will distribute the gas between the house and the shop. Also be sure to install the pressure regulator at the heater, this will assure the least line pressure loss from the meter to the heater.

I was under the impression that you could not use black pipe outdoors.
Thanks for the link.

I just went and looked at the gas service for my house. Copper line up to the regulator but then there is about 1 foot of black pipe before it enters the house. I do know that the black pipe was added to move the regulator a little farther away from the electrical service, because one of the contractors did not put it in the right spot. Imagine that, a pro not doing it quite right.

Back