Should I Get This Manual Sheet Metal Notcher?

Get the Maxmill....I saw the Tree mill on craigslist, and I even was thinking of going down there. I think it has been up for sale for awhile. I wonder why it is still not sold.
The Maxmill looks like it was not abused at all as a child. Max might not have a nerboys breakdown if you ask him to cut some steel. Tree looks like he might of had a long life where his artritis from lack of use might be an issue.

What a tale! Start off with a notcher and end up with a BP.

Right now there are two different BP clones for $500 ea. on CL, with one very close by. I let the lack of space and the scary idea of doing the rigging myself along with electrical questions deter me. Reading about how all of this and even worse has not dented your enthusiasm makes me feel like a wimp.......
You are not a wimp. You are probably just less crazy than me. It's ok. I can help you let loose and "go for it!"
Actually, if 220 power is an issue, you can try a route I may use -- get a 3000 watt step up transformer, an inverter drive, and a 3 phase 220 motor (inverter duty preferred, but not absolutely necessary ). You can pick up an inverter drive for 4 hp for under $100 off ebay, I am guessing. Used inverter duty motors are getting a lot more expensive on ebay than in the past. However, I can help you try to get a deal for a 2hp inverter motor. You only live once (I assume), and life is short, so go for it! :)

You have very excellent Karma !!!
Thank you Uncle Harry. I never thought of it as Karma. I just always thought I was either lucky, or quick to jump on a deal.
However, maybe it is Karma. I honestly feel like the big guy above only cares about what we have done to help others. So, I like to help people :)

WelL guys, I apologize for going so off topic in this post. I will later start a new thread to show the Bridgeport mill arriving to my tiny garage, and my neighbors just shaking their heads.

Last edited:
What a tale! Start off with a notcher and end up with a BP.

Right now there are two different BP clones for $500 ea. on CL, with one very close by. I let the lack of space and the scary idea of doing the rigging myself along with electrical questions deter me. Reading about how all of this and even worse has not dented your enthusiasm makes me feel like a wimp.......
C-bag,
Here is a link on how to install a single phase dc motor to a Bridgeport mill. I thought you might want to check it out.
Susan

You need to get out of California and move to the Midwest.....$650k will buy you a hell of a house plus out buildings and acreage.

An old joke...sexist,but still funny. “Looking for woman with Bridgeport mill for marriage, please send photo of Bridgeport”

Just when I thought it was ok to cruise CL again.....

Nowhere near the shape of the other Maxmill, but still.....

You need to get out of California and move to the Midwest.....$650k will buy you a hell of a house plus out buildings and acreage.

An old joke...sexist,but still funny. “Looking for woman with Bridgeport mill for marriage, please send photo of Bridgeport”
LOL!!!
Ever since I got into metalworking, I noticed that I, all of a sudden, have dudes liking me. One time, I carried an angle grinder into Home Depot (I forgot why), and got hit on so much. I should write a book encouraging lonely, single women to take up metalworking for the sake of increasing their likelihood of finding a guy who is interested in them ;-)
As for being in the mid-west, I don't know. I like being one of many ethnicities. I might feel like a fish out of my fish bowl if I am the only Asian in town. Someone might ask me to cook them some Chinese food, and I might have to knock them out, LOL ;-)

Lucked out is right! Congratulations!

And.... I have a notcher and use it whenever I do sheet metal- not often, but often enough. If you're looking for more space, trading a lathe for a notcher is a good move.

Back