• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Show us your Logan lathes!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have wanted a lathe for quite a while. I won an auction on a Monarch 10x20EE a few years ago. I got discouraged in a hurry,
the three phase power and the weight of the machine itself. I sold it and have been looking for a smaller lathe since. I was looking
at the Grizzley Lathes and the like. I found this machine on CL, had never heard of Logan Lathes. I liked the size and it was 110vac, and
the owner brought it to me. I think its a '41 serial number 2314. Not much in the way of tooling, two chucks, a Phase 2 tool post,
and a chuck for the tail stock. I'm considering buying a set of legs and a chip pan. Not sure about that though, I may just put it on a bench.
Did you get the change gears? (fingers crossed)
I mounted my 210 to a slab of old bowling alley and that's been bolted to (3) different benches over the years.
My idea for the ideal bench would be a welded frame style with tool chests fitted into it.

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
Did you get the change gears? (fingers crossed)
I mounted my 210 to a slab of old bowling alley and that's been bolted to (3) different benches over the years.
My idea for the ideal bench would be a welded frame style with tool chests fitted into it.
I did get the change gears, they are in the coffee can that you can see in the edge of the picture. When I found it, I started
researching Logan Lathes. I'm really happy that I got it, just have a few more things before I get it running.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I did get the change gears, they are in the coffee can that you can see in the edge of the picture. When I found it, I started
researching Logan Lathes. I'm really happy that I got it, just have a few more things before I get it running.
You'll be very happy with it - undoubtedly. I've had mine for over (20) years now and have never regretted the purchase.
They were very well built (IMO) and Scott @ Logan Actuator still provides very decent support.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
View attachment 255797
I have wanted a lathe for quite a while. I won an auction on a Monarch 10x20EE a few years ago. I got discouraged in a hurry,
the three phase power and the weight of the machine itself. I sold it and have been looking for a smaller lathe since. I was looking
at the Grizzley Lathes and the like. I found this machine on CL, had never heard of Logan Lathes. I liked the size and it was 110vac, and
the owner brought it to me. I think its a '41 serial number 2314. Not much in the way of tooling, two chucks, a Phase 2 tool post,
and a chuck for the tail stock. I'm considering buying a set of legs and a chip pan. Not sure about that though, I may just put it on a bench.
View attachment 255798

For some reason the leg sets go for a lot of money. After setting mine up on the legs that came with it, I would recommend a bench.
The bench gives you something solid to set up on: the legs are not until it's all bolted together.

Congrats on your new lathe!

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
You'll be very happy with it - undoubtedly. I've had mine for over (20) years now and have never regretted the purchase.
They were very well built (IMO) and Scott @ Logan Actuator still provides very decent support.
Thank you.. I have been to the site and plan on purchasing a manual for it in a few days. I found this site and Lathe.com while deciding
to make the deal.

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
For some reason the leg sets go for a lot of money. After setting mine up on the legs that came with it, I would recommend a bench.
The bench gives you something solid to set up on: the legs are not until it's all bolted together.

Congrats on your new lathe!

The small footprint is what interests me most about the legs. I have a butcher block work bench but it is considerably larger
than the space that I have available. You are correct about the cost of those legs though, and it seems that the chip pan is costly
as well.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
The cast iron legs are being snapped up by interior designers for that 'industrial design' look.
That is what's has driven the prices up.

If going with a butcher block, I would mechanically fasten some strips to the bottom if possible, would help to keep the laminated wood from separating in the future.
My bench in the shop which was salvaged from a garage in KY and had come from a Panasonic factory had to be re-done.
I've got another one that is in even worse shape that I may just cut up into smaller sections.

rambin

View attachment 255797
View attachment 255798
I bought a very similar one last summer except someone had painted it god awful green its #2646 im slowly cleaning it and painting it machinery grey like yours is... you don't realize how badly used and abused they are until you strip them down to bare metal. im steadily working thru different issues trying to get it up and running

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
Got a break in the rain today. I took advantage and loaded up my butcher block work bench. It is 30 1/2" x 60" and 34" high, I cant wait to get it put together and leveled up. I may get the legs and chip pan at some point but I just want to get my lathe running. My eBay watch list has never been so long.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
hey farmer, where does the motor mount? From the picture,that looks like you could have it underneath or behind on the bench. Some of them have the motor hanging off the back with a peg leg for support.

Those are really nice lathes, almost bulletproof and capable of doing most home shop work. Looks like you got enough tooling to get you started,too.

Just one thing to be careful about, there is no clutch on the powerfeeds. So you have to stay with it and pay attention all the way through operations that use power feed. We had a guy locally that just learned that lesson, and had to replace some gears and parts as a result.

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
hey farmer, where does the motor mount? From the picture,that looks like you could have it underneath or behind on the bench. Some of them have the motor hanging off the back with a peg leg for support.

Those are really nice lathes, almost bulletproof and capable of doing most home shop work. Looks like you got enough tooling to get you started,too.

Just one thing to be careful about, there is no clutch on the powerfeeds. So you have to stay with it and pay attention all the way through operations that use power feed. We had a guy locally that just learned that lesson, and had to replace some gears and parts as a result.
From all of the pictures that I have seen, the motor mounts directly behind the lathe. I am going to mount it on a butcher block work bench for the time being. I did buy the manual from lathe.com and seen a leg bracket that connects the motor mount to the legs. I haven't seen that bracket for sale.

I do have a micrometer carriage stop in my watch list on ebay. I have to place things in order. The wants for this machine have completely outran my budget.

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
I bought a very similar one last summer except someone had painted it god awful green its #2646 im slowly cleaning it and painting it machinery grey like yours is... you don't realize how badly used and abused they are until you strip them down to bare metal. im steadily working thru different issues trying to get it up and running
Have you posted a picture of this green machine on here somewhere? I would like to see it before you get it grey.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Not sure if it is the same mounting method, but here's a pic of the backside of a 9B-17 I sold a while back. I used the fenner v-belt coming out of the back of the headstock. HTH

Attachments

GFarmer13

Swarf
Registered Member
Not my picture but this is the same mount that I have with my lathe. I am going to mount it in the same fashion, just bolt it to the bench in line with the lathe.

s-l1601.jpg

rambin

yes it will easily mount behind the lathe... but make sure you align your pulleys front to back...a straight edge (thin ruler) will do the job...who ever drilled and bolted mine to that old table was out a 1/4 inch or so... it works just drives me nuts and im sure it side loads the headstock some and probly will end up fraying the belt in time... I will eventually have to slot the holes in the table, which I hate to do...

rambin

im just starting to use it a little bit now. working the kinks out... replaced the half nuts and a few other parts trying to slowly tighten everything up again. will finish painting it come spring when its warm enough to go outside with a spray can

itstallion

Swarf
Registered Member
Here's some pics of my newly acquired Logan 6561-H. Found it listed on Facebook. Took my dad on his birthday to go look at it. He made the package deal along with a Delta toolmaker. This machine has seen very little use. I'm thinking the wood it's bolted to might be from the factory? We're in the process of cleaning her up. Her name is Layla. She's my very first machine. I'm selling my Shopsmith to make room for her in my garage. She has the taper attachment on her and everything that came with her except the manual and parts list. Even the wrenches are there. She also came with a 5HP rotary phase converter which I plan on removing from the lathe and placing in a seperate room.

20180214_110950.jpg
This is what she looked like when we found her.

20180214_111127.jpg
Opened the cabinet after the deal was made and discovered all the goodies inside.

20180214_125427.jpg
Here's all the goodies she came with.
20180223_142622.jpg
Here's what she looks like today.
20180223_142635.jpg 20180223_142639.jpg
20180223_142615.jpg

We're using Kerosene to clean her up and gear oil (85W 140) to keep her ways oiled up until I can get some proper way oil. I'll keep posting pictures as we keep cleaning up all the pieces on her. For my very first machine I think I scored big! She runs great and I can't wait to make my very first chips on her. I'm thinking I'll keep he on the wood. What do you guys think?

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Nice score!

You will want to remove the wood runners and use leveling feet to properly level the lathe to remove any twist from the bed.

pashooter

Swarf
Registered Member
IMG_3211.jpg

Logan / Montgomery Ward model 74TLC-2130 that my father bought new in 1947 for the princely sum of $207. Railway express shipping from Chicago to northern Virginia added another $4.35 to the bill! I still have all of the original paperwork. :) Back up and running again after years of sitting around in pieces - I had torn it apart a number of years ago to replace seized up spindle bearings. Life intervened and it sat that way for more years than I care to mention, but I recently retired and getting it running again was the first task in setting up my retirement hobby shop. Poor storage had taken its toll on many of the smaller parts (thankfully not the bed or any of the major components) but almost everything cleaned up nicely and now she's happily humming away again. I added the QCTP and am still in the process of "tooling up" - next up will be building racks to hold all the accessories and tooling.

rambin

wow looks pretty good. original paint? I have a 41 which is very similar model. someone had painted it gawd awful green over the years ive slowly been cleaning it and rattle canning back to grey... and as im sure you know the price of the tooling is what kills you

pashooter

Swarf
Registered Member
Oh yeah - the paint is dinged in a few places but is unretouched and all original. I know what you mean about awful repaint jobs - not long ago I picked up a Clausing 8520 that someone had repainted in sort of a baby blue. Must have been a while ago (or a poor paint job) because even that is chipped badly in places. I'm not a stickler for "original" colors, but it just doesn't look right. However, I was more interested in getting the mill together (I had disassembled it to move it) and running than in "correcting" the paint color, but maybe one of these days...

rambin

yes I hear you there, original exact paint matches aren't really important but I just had to get rid of the green and you say some of these paint jobs were not done well... improper cleaning first and pieces not removed to paint... once I get it all painted the same color i'll be happy not worrying about replacing missing badges or anything just want a reliable machine that isn't an eye soar... so what is on your tooling list ive been picking up a few things lately for mine? maybe I can send you in a certain direction

[6]
[5] [7]