Six Months Retired, I’m struggling.

14 more days it will be one year for myself. Like others on here I have more projects than I will ever get to.

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. Maybe buy an old car or truck and start fixing it up. Or an old motorcycle they take up less space.

Tim

It's good you are able to come here and talk about it. Have you reached out to anyone here that you have connected with? Please do so or maybe be open if they reach out. Always good to talk things out. Respond back to some of the suggestions others have given.

Look how many responses you have received in a short time. Plenty of people are interested in helping out.

My oldest brother retired a couple years ago and just recently I asked him what he does everyday. He laughed and said he doesn't know. He golfs, and they take several bucket list trips every year. Right now they are on a Mediterranean cruise. They go with the same travel agent who acts as a guide. Many of the same people are repeat customers and they have developed some travel friends. He watches the grandkids a day a week as well. I asked him because he doesn't have any mechanical or hands on skills to keep him busy. Last summer when they came for a visit he was a little surprised at how many projects I have going at a time. As everyone here knows you might be waiting for parts of just need to walk away and do something else for awhile.

One of my aunt's went to the elementary school and helped kids with reading, I have friends that help with habitat for humanity, a neighbor that is involved in the rails to trails. Just a couple different ways that others have found that helps them.

Keep talking and posting.

15 years into it and still not caught up with the my-do’s and honey-do’s. Never had a boring day ! Always something pops-up.

I found a niche market for things I can make, and can sell.

I didn’t think it would happen to me!
Every day is the same, I’m struggling because I don’t have a project.
Co-workers aren’t coming to me asking me to fix this or fabricate that.
I miss my buddies at work.

I looked into steam engine kits, meh. Nothing feels right.
I’m sure this is probably normal but man, it’s not easy.

The weeds are gone, the house is painted, the gutters are clean, the cars are washed and waxed, the trailer is serviced, the lawn mower is ready to go, the lathe just got new oil. Yeah, I’m at that point.

What are you guys doing?

Great thread Jeff (and contributors).

The question you need to answer is "What do I love to do?"
I understand that you miss the good things from your career.
You, along with your wife, are the only people that can define what will keep you joyfully occupied in the future.

I don't remember seeing getting a new job suggested already, so here it is.
Something you like to do. With hours and pay that are friendly (not tedious). I don't know how "rural" (far from commercial activity) you are now.
What about starting a business as a handyman or Mister Fix-it. Take the type and quantity of work within your pleasure zone.

Anyway, whatever you decide to try, it's a real-life issue and this discussion will help many. Keep us informed, please.

I've been retired now for 15 years. The most difficult part was the transition from the "go to guy" at work to feeling like not being needed, but it does pass. For me it was a bit of a roller coaster ride. All I can say is there is always something that needs done.

Eric

I have no idea how that would feel. For every project I finally get off my list I’m not joking it’s replaced by at least 3. Feels like 10 more most times. I’m so far behind I tried to make a list and it just got me overwhelmed. Guess I’m just not as efficient.

Another "doubt I'll ever get there" for me. Have enough to keep me busy, and probably two other guys, for the rest of my life. Would be glad to put you to work, if you like the high country. Mike
Ditto for me.

Jeff
I was in the auto service industry for a long time too but that doesn't carry over in any way to what I do now.

My best advice according to your post is that you need to make new or old friends. Start by visiting neighbors, long lost relatives, younger people you are acquainted with, church friends. I'm sure there are hundreds of people near your that would love a new friend. Remember the old saying "to have a friend you must be one".

One of my old bosses, the owner of a dealership I worked at, says he took a 1 or 2 day a week job delivering cleaning supplies "just for the social contacts he gets to see weekly". Although those are not close friendships, they do give a regular opportunity to interact.

Only you can make this happen! Don't be afraid to open new doors. You might get a few slammed in your face, but there are lots of doors. Behind a few of them are what you need and what you can GIVE.

Also, don't give up on your shop. I'll bet there are some new machines that will take your mind off everything.

It sounds like you have been a 'people person', SO BE ONE.

Aaron

:grin: :grin: :grin:
When I was in the field, 40 years experience, I had authority, command, and respect. At home if I told my wife something, she would say, who told you that:oops:

I have no idea how that would feel. For every project I finally get off my list I’m not joking it’s replaced by at least 3. Feels like 10 more most times. I’m so far behind I tried to make a list and it just got me overwhelmed. Guess I’m just not as efficient.
Throw me a bone

Back