Six Months Retired, I’m struggling.

Ditto for me.

Jeff
I was in the auto service industry for a long time too but that doesn't carry over in any way to what I do now.

My best advice according to your post is that you need to make new or old friends. Start by visiting neighbors, long lost relatives, younger people you are acquainted with, church friends. I'm sure there are hundreds of people near your that would love a new friend. Remember the old saying "to have a friend you must be one".

One of my old bosses, the owner of a dealership I worked at, says he took a 1 or 2 day a week job delivering cleaning supplies "just for the social contacts he gets to see weekly". Although those are not close friendships, they do give a regular opportunity to interact.

Only you can make this happen! Don't be afraid to open new doors. You might get a few slammed in your face, but there are lots of doors. Behind a few of them are what you need and what you can GIVE.

Also, don't give up on your shop. I'll bet there are some new machines that will take your mind off everything.

It sounds like you have been a 'people person', SO BE ONE.

Aaron
Auto service industry,
Me too. Started in the parts dept. of a Ford dealership in 1976. Ended up retiring from a Ford dealership as the GM last December.
What did you do?

:grin: :grin: :grin:
When I was in the field, 40 years experience, I had authority, command, and respect. At home if I told my wife something, she would say, who told you that:oops:
That’s it. I was the boss. Made decisions, had one on one contact, we worked on problems, projects, etc.
Our last year was one of the best.
I thought I was just done. Couldn’t do it one more day.

Yeah, I’m not interested in working anymore.
I just need to get busy on something i enjoy.

Last edited:
Jeff,

I have to give you credit for admitting you are having a difficult time. It looks like you are
getting some good ideas so that is a positive thing. My job was very demanding of me
pretty much over the top so retiring from that was easy for me. I took up machining
to cope with the stress of my daytime job so have been making chips for well over
twenty years and retired for eleven years. I cut wood to be active and am a prolific
gardener so that is good too as well as keeping some chickens for eggs. I'm working
on self sufficiency in these lean times. Also I do band sawing in the warmer part
of the year. Enough about me for now anyway. A daily routine is very handy to
organize your days so you have a daily plan. It's part of one's Circadian rhythm
that is important. Read about it a little if you aren't familiar with it. Find some
activities that you can enjoy and keep an eye out for new possibilities. It could
be anything. It's handy to set some daily goals so a note pad and pencil are
helpful to get it all going. Writing it down does two things. It gets you thinking
of what you want to do and when you write it down it adds a reinforcement to
your brain so that it is in the works. You are in charge of your life so you can
steer it where you like. Good luck with it Jeff. I'm sure you will do just fine. :encourage:

Jeff,

I have to give you credit for admitting you are having a difficult time. It looks like you are
getting some good ideas so that is a positive thing. My job was very demanding of me
pretty much over the top so retiring from that was easy for me. I took up machining
to cope with the stress of my daytime job so have been making chips for well over
twenty years and retired for eleven years. I cut wood to be active and am a prolific
gardener so that is good too as well as keeping some chickens for eggs. I'm working
on self sufficiency in these lean times. Also I do band sawing in the warmer part
of the year. Enough about me for now anyway. A daily routine is very handy to
organize your days so you have a daily plan. It's part of one's Circadian rhythm
that is important. Read about it a little if you aren't familiar with it. Find some
activities that you can enjoy and keep an eye out for new possibilities. It could
be anything. It's handy to set some daily goals so a note pad and pencil are
helpful to get it all going. Writing it down does two things. It gets you thinking
of what you want to do and when you write it down it adds a reinforcement to
your brain so that it is in the works. You are in charge of your life so you can
steer it where you like. Good luck with it Jeff. I'm sure you will do just fine. :encourage:
Thank you for your thoughtful advice and encouragement.

It is an adjustment, I am lucky in that I didn't have to go cold turkey. I get to work on my terms, and don't have to ask for a day off I just don't make myself available.

It also helps that I still have a child in school, an old house that always wants attention and several old cars to tinker with so finding the time to get bored with the shop is way down the list.

Have you looked into taking any classes? Butte College has a great welding program, that could give you some structure and get you interacting with others with similar interests. I was having a great time taking classes until Covid put a stop to it, looking forward to being able to return now that things are opening up.

You spent 40+ years working, it takes time to adjust to a new lifestyle. I'm sure you will find your groove, just give it time.
I love the idea of taking a class.

I implore you to find something no matter what Jeff to become interested in. It doesn't matter what is is, it doesn't matter how silly, stupid or grandiose it is but it must be something that you find interesting and more important you can become immersed in.
I retired over 10 years ago with a bunch of guys and two who had no outside interests are no longer with us.
We traveled a fair bit, Japan, China, Singapore, Philippines
Watch some Bob Ross videos and learn how to paint. He makes it look so easy.
Gem cutting and silversmithing, this could also be linked to fossicking holidays.
Any nice polished wood furniture you could make for your room.
Learn metal casting and make plaques to sell in the market.
As you say, rebuilding old iron, always worth while.
In the same vein restoring vintage motorcycles.
In all truthfulness it really doesnt matter what you get involved in as long as it is something. That is the most important point.
Take care Jeff
Regards
Charles

Here is an old Shopsmith that's fairly close to you, looks like a project.

I don't understand. I retired in 2001 at 59 years and 6 months. Honestly, I wish I had more time for myself I have been busy in my shop ever since that day. Now at 80 years old I have slowed down some and reject some work but still work 6 to 8 hours a day. I now take weekends off to spend time with my girlfriend and gardening (her thing). I keep up my 2 acres and mow 3 other yards for retirees that can't manage. Me and the dog walk 2 miles every morning to keep her healthy. I donate PLATELETS and PLASMA every 3 weeks. The total so far is 30 5/8 gallons donated. Keeping busy is the key to a successful retirement, just my opinion.

Around here, I go outside, close my eyes, spin in a circle, open my eyes, and no matter what direction I'm facing, there's something to do. Move to a farm, and your problem will disappear.

Regards.

Back