• I am over 40 and answered scale

• I am under 40 and answered scale

• I am over 40 and answered rule

• I am under 40 and answered rule

• I am over 40 and answered ruler

• I am under 40 and answered ruler

Results are only viewable after voting.
to my knowledge, a rule(r) measures,
a scale is the representation of the measurement.

Last edited:
Well as I am just trying to get CAD figured out I still use A drafting scale. That said by the first definition given here A scale may not be a ruler, But a ruler could surely be used as a scale as in 1/2 " = 1" I like to nag apprentices that call out dimensions like 35". I have to explain to them after 12" you use feet and inches unless you are going to sew the steel in place. But I just do that to hack on them and get them used to using feet an inches, because 356" just sound so wrong.
Mark

O.K. O.K., A scale is something you keep in your apron pocket, ie. 6" scale, which is used for measuring, way scraping, stirring your coffee, eating your lunch with, as the house mouse forgot to pack a spoon, cleaning under your finger nails, and a host of other meaningful tasks! A rule, on the other hand is way too large for carrying around in your pocket, as you'd poke your eye out. Rules are used for lay out purposes only, and perhaps a rough measurement here and there!

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." Douglas Bader.
Scales are eight keys on a piano.
John.

I can vaguely remember when I was about ten years old, Dad brainwashing me that it is a scale and only a scale!

Remember when "blue linen" was the sacred of all Mylars?

Here's a picture of a scale. Mine is in graduation of 3/32, 3/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 and 3 all scaled to 1". Ironically, it is made by "The C-THRU RULER CO.". Or is that the C-Thru scale company . . .

Bruce

scale by C-thru ruler.jpg

Well as I am just trying to get CAD figured out I still use A drafting scale. That said by the first definition given here A scale may not be a ruler, But a ruler could surely be used as a scale as in 1/2 " = 1" I like to nag apprentices that call out dimensions like 35". I have to explain to them after 12" you use feet and inches unless you are going to sew the steel in place. But I just do that to hack on them and get them used to using feet an inches, because 356" just sound so wrong.
Mark
I prefer for measurements to be called out in inch. I refuse to let it slide if I'm working with someone that calls out such a number as 10' 3" & 3/32 of a inch when I'm cutting a brace. I use feet when a few inches doesn't matter. everything else is measured in inch usually down to an 1/8". It wasn't until I took up the hobby of machining I started using tenths, hundredths, thousandths , & ten thousandths.

As far as a scale or ruler goes. I remember as a kid in my uncles shop he called it a steel measure. This actually sounds the most correct to me. The measure is scaled into tenths & such.

Old-timers may recall drafting pencil lead hardness classifications: for example, 5H was often used for

Just watch who your calling old timer there buddy.:D I still have a desk drawer full of scales, pencils, and all the other drafting paraphernalia used for drawing house plans back in my general contractor days. Sold the drafting table years ago so I'd have more room in the shop. When it's all said and done I guess call it what your comfortable with, just don't call me late for dinner. Mike

Back