• Ruler

• I am over 40 and answered scale

• I am under 40 and answered scale

• I am over 40 and answered rule

• I am under 40 and answered rule

• I am over 40 and answered ruler

• I am under 40 and answered ruler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Perhaps the poll is not very clear, but someone did not vote correctly. You can change your vote if you made a mistake,

In the 40 odd years I'v been around machine shops and machinist I have never meet one that didn't have a 6" scale in his pocket.
I have always thought it was called a "scale" was because on the back side there is a "Decimal Equivalents" scale.
****Just Saying**********Gator************

I've always used the term scale, and I had a half-wit supervisor where i used to work who thought it was a scraper.

To me it's a rule or a ruler. But remember, I come from a woodworking background.

I was taught back in HS (78-81) that 6" machine ruler is referred to as "scale" I call anything longer a ruler, but probably incorrect.

In the UK a 1:1 measuring stick is called a rule in engineering, be it a 6" top pocket model, or a larger size, A scale rule is used to convert a scaled drawing to real world 1:1 or to produce such a drawing. The clue is in the use of the word scale, or scaled, as in scaled up or scaled down. If it is 1:1 it is not scaled. what we have here is two different usagtes on two different sides of the Atlantic.
Phil

guesstimater covers both as does "Let me use that thing y in my pocket to check." Or we could just check with "Miss Manners" for proper usage.

But Phil, 1:1 is full scale, yes?

Besides, we are talking (mostly) about the things you carry in your pocket. I personally also carry a 12" hook scale in my back pocket and it sometimes gets used as a chip hook.......wonder what I should call it.

Back