• Ruler

• I am over 40 and answered scale

• I am under 40 and answered scale

• I am over 40 and answered rule

• I am under 40 and answered rule

• I am over 40 and answered ruler

• I am under 40 and answered ruler

Results are only viewable after voting.
So anyway, have we figured out yet what purpose the little black hash/tick/graduation lines/marks serve? :laughing:

Huh I learn something everyday.
I would call the straight bit a ruler, and the markings on it the scale.
On a caliper or micrometer there is a scale as well, but not a ruler. At least in my book that is the eay I think about it.

My lathe and mill both have scales on the handwheels.
On a dro the scles are so fine I need a reading head to interpret them and write the values on a display for me....

Just my thoughts.... Probly not correct or something....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on a few years (40) in machine shops, the accepted name for the 6" flat steel measuring device in a machinist's pocket was and is "scale". Never rule or ruler.

I still have the T square, I even still have a bottle of ink, and the old set that you use it in. I use to hate the old thin tracing paper, and heaven forbid that you hit a pin hole with the ink. I also have a set of the newer but still old refillable pens that you used. Problem is I have not gotten decent on CAD, so I still pull them out to make a drawing when needed. I guess I should learn the new stuff.
You had stuff that was supposed to be drawn to scale 1:1 then you had stuff that was either enlarged 2 to 1 etc, or the stuff that downsized to 1 to 10 or something. Depending on what you ware drawing was what scale you used. A ruler was what the rest of the school used to call the wooden thing they used to measure stuff for projects. Of course wood shop used a tape measure.

hmmm
I always thought scale was that stuff on the outside of hot rolled that dulls tools.
Rules of course are things meant to be broken.

So much to learn...
Funny how the thing we put in out pocket is called a "scale," but the moment you put a tab on the end of it, it morphs into a "hook rule."

The ruler of Scales, England often used a ruler to discipline the ruled for failing to follow the rule prohibiting scaling the scale model of a scale. Scaling the ruler has been found to be an effective way to scale the punishment to fit the scale of the misdemeanor. The practice was abandoned when it was discovered that using a scale to weigh the scale of the ruler was improper because a balance is the proper tool for weighing. Discipline is now ruled out for the ruler, and is left to retired nuns who understand proper use of scaling and ruling.

Give me a few minutes to scale through that & see how it measures up. Then I'll weigh in with a rulling if it all balances out.

We use rulers, whether they are 6"or 12" or 24" long.

Draftsman use scales, they are about 12" long and three sided.

I have been in this stuff since way before CAD and did a fair bit of paper and machine work. I was always taught that you can draw lines with a ruler (it can also have measurement marks on it) and you never drew a line with a scale, it was used to measure things whether the scale was 1:1 or 1:100 and so on.

I have been in this stuff since way before CAD and did a fair bit of paper and machine work. I was always taught that you can draw lines with a ruler (it can also have measurement marks on it) and you never drew a line with a scale, it was used to measure things whether the scale was 1:1 or 1:100 and so on.

Drafting machine SCALES were 12, 18 & sometimes 24" L. Aluminum or plastic. They were used to efficiently draw lines on their edges. The were available in several "scales".

Drafting machine SCALES were 12, 18 & sometimes 24" L. Aluminum or plastic. They were used to efficiently draw lines on their edges. The were available in several "scales".
Used to have around 12 pairs of scales for my Vemco X-Y drafting machine. Always wanted the Kroy lettering machine to go with it, too.

Back