So What Do You Stand On?

I stand on my own two feet.

I gotta go along with Bill, nice smooth concrete sweeps nicely, I spent most of my working life on concrete. Some machines had duck boards, I kept falling off of them.

A small platform made of wood that has some give in it feels the best to me.

Dri-core over the concrete floor, and thick rubber mats where needed.

I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet, and don't have much sensation in them, except that they hurt.

Just splashed out some money for 4'x6'x3/4" thick rubber mats for the garage. I've spent too much money getting my knee put back together, the other one is doing "okay", but I have no urge to mess 'em up standing on concrete. Now I just have to abuse my knees with heavy lifting/carrying to get my machines and tooling moved into the garage. :)

+1 on the Harbor freight floor mats. I have both the interlocking and the one piece roll out 2'x8' approx. Cheap enough to replace once a year or more often.
Downside is my cat loves them for claw sharpening. He has fun with them cause he can really get his hooks in them.

I made a mat out of 1x2 pine boards on edge with spacers in between. It's held together with 1/4x20 threaded rods. It's easy on the feet and the chips fall right thru it. To clean just stand it up and all the swarf is left behind on the floor. Sweep or vacuum and yDSC_0733.JPG ou're done.

I use those rubber floor mats with the holes. I got them from Costco years ago - they don't have them any more. Sure they trap chips, but they are just as comfortable with some chip loading (I'm going to make more chips I don't feel the need to sweep up every chip).

Different shoes when they start bothering you is a good trick.

The horse mats are at a very good price point. I would be tempted to use those as an underlayment, and then cover in laminate flooring. Whatever was on clearance. I haven't tried it but seems like a good combo.

I use 1/2" thick rubber mats with big holes in them. Got them from Ebay.
I use them specifically because they are chip magnets.
They reduced the amount of chips getting tracked into the house by a huge margin, and a large entry mat gets most of what is left.

I worked on cold concrete for many years. If you are worried about it, get yourself a pair of Redwings.

Back