So What Do You Stand On?

i'm currently using the inexpensive HF floormats for the last 2 years now- they are total swarf magnets but the cushion is good.
they interlock like puzzle pieces and have been surprisingly rugged.
a word of warning,
FCAW spatter makes neat little holes, reminiscent of swiss cheese, in your HF floormats :grin:
Another +1 on the HF mats. Chips do get stuck in them, but I also bought a HF magnet to pick the chips up with (I mostly cut steel.) They work fine and are cheap. Oil is difficult to clean off of them.

I found the Pro-Safe 3x5 rubber mats (Enco # 328-5967)
very durable, comfortable underfoot and the price is really good esp if you buy with the 20% w/free ship code deal. Buying these with a free ship deal is a must since they are fairly heavy and bulky. I bought one initially and liked it so much I got 2 more when the 20% and shipping deal came back.
View attachment 119130

I haven't used anything to stand on in the past 26+ years as an industrial maintenance mechanic other than bare concrete with good quality work boots. Last year I developed a case of plantar fasciitis that hurt like hell and I had to do something. My wife recommended the rubber mats and I think they helped. Now I am paranoid to work without them as I don't want to go through that pain again.

These are the same ones I have been looking at recently. I currently have some 3'x5' el cheapo mats from Home Depot but the chips melt into them very, very easily then are a PITA to sweep.

Do you just lift them up to sweep and let the swarf fall through the holes?

Mike.

I have bare concrete floors in my shop with radiant hydronic heating in the slab. No need for mats or other surfacing for it to be comfortable. My feet are always warm with no tiredness at the end of a days work out there.

Like several have mentioned I use the horse mats cut to suit in front of my machines and work benches. I doubt you would ever wear them out and they clean up easily. They are pretty thick and heavy, but I hardly ever move them, just sweep them off and maybe a bi-annual wash down. They don't hold the swarf and the price is hard to beat. Mike

Only pic I could find of them. Guess you don't photograph the floor much, but under the headers and junk you can just see it.

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

I've got good Redwings that are my shop only footwear. They stay by the door. When I go out/in I slip out of whatever I'm wearing and put the shop ones on. Keeps from tracking swarf in and out of the house.
To clean the honey comb pattern mats I just lift up occasionally and sweep. Cheeseking. Those look nice. The edges look like they are more tapered compared to mine. Might order to try out on the next Enco order. Will need one for the surface grinder acquisition.

I use closed cell rubber/smooth surface foam shop mats. I've had the harder ones with holes and they hurt my tender feet. : )

Not necessary to buy mats to trip over and catch imbedded chips. I just wear sneakers with a couple of gel pads iun them. They feel perfectly soft and add spring to your step.

Back