South Bend 9A 644R Advice on purchase?

Yessir. Been checking out vintage machinery as well. Any particular area? That forum/site is a little tricky to navigate for me. Likely just not spending enough time exploring. Thanks.

Might as well order a AXA QCTP kit from Shars right now, you will need it.
Was looking at those. Prefer to order direct from Shars? Saw one on Amazon with good reviews. I know nothing and I prefer buy once, cry once within reason. But also don’t want to throw away money for no good reason. Thanks.

Was looking at those. Prefer to order direct from Shars? Saw one on Amazon with good reviews. I know nothing and I prefer buy once, cry once within reason. But also don’t want to throw away money for no good reason. Thanks.
Get a wedge type, not the plunger type.
The imports are all about the same.
You will need to mill the T-nut to fit the compound.

No jaws for the extra chuck, dog driver is a plus, extra lantern tool post, kinda a plus. tailstock wrench, plus.
Any idea what that part is I circled in yellow? Thanks.

Attachments

• 8826EB9A-51F1-4D2D-ABD7-7CB7454BAD4F.jpeg
    8826EB9A-51F1-4D2D-ABD7-7CB7454BAD4F.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 12
Those are better photos.
Looks like just real filthy. that grime may have protected the finish, ought to clean up just fine.
And a steady rest too! you will like that. Was using my steady rest this week to do some boring on a small steam engine.
Enjoy

Those are better photos.
Looks like just real filthy. that grime may have protected the finish, ought to clean up just fine.
And a steady rest too! you will like that. Was using my steady rest this week to do some boring on a small steam engine.
Enjoy
Yes much better pictures. And I’ll be getting dirty this weekend for sure. Cleaning them up is like a treasure hunt for me. Lots to learn and always a surprise or 12. Paint is not my friend so no restoration but I do like working on a clean machine. Thanks!

Back