South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Over on the PM site, user jkull makes and sells them. Check with him.

Over on the PM site, user jkull makes and sells them. Check with him.
Thanks. I did already find him and it cost $48 shipped. I'm having him make me one. I sold my SB 9C today so I have a few extra dollars to put into the 9A. Looks like about a week and I should have it up and going.

Thanks. I did already find him and it cost $48 shipped. I'm having him make me one. I sold my SB 9C today so I have a few extra dollars to put into the 9A. Looks like about a week and I should have it up and going.

I feel naked without having a running lathe at my disposal! Weird!

My tumbler arm bearing showed up this afternoon so I guess I finish off the QCGBox tomorrow. The headstock is finished save for the reverse gear handle painting as well as the back gear handle. A cold front has moved in last night and will be cold next few days so I don't know how much I can do on the lathe. The weather will probably slow me down 3 or 4 days until it warms up. I don't like doing mineral spirit parts cleaning and painting inside my small shop so I'll have to wait. Gonna go look at a Atlas 618 tomorrow for $150.

The weather will probably slow me down 3 or 4 days until it warms up. I don't like doing mineral spirit parts cleaning and painting inside my small shop so I'll have to wait. Gonna go look at a Atlas 618 tomorrow for $150.

Boy, I hear ya'. It got down to 65º F today and made it too cold to do any work in the shop. I spent the day shivering in the house! Can't wait for the warm up to come on Thursday!

Boy, I hear ya'. It got down to 65º F today and made it too cold to do any work in the shop. I spent the day shivering in the house! Can't wait for the warm up to come on Thursday!
Well this morning it's 36 degrees and with wind chill it's 28 degrees!! Am I still in Florida??? Staying inside today drinking coffee and taking an occasional nap. Retirement is good.

Last edited:
Well this morning it's 36 degrees and with wind chill it's 28 degrees!! Am I still in Florida??? Staying inside today drinking coffee and taking an occasional nap. Retirement is good.

At least these temps will kill a lot of the invasive pests, like iguanas and pythons that we have around here. Last time it got this cold, the iguanas were dropping dead out of the trees!

If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I used my vice with an appropriate size socket to press in the new tumbler bearing. Wouldn't you just know it, The bearing is too tight on the pin and the pin turns in the tumbler casting. Guess I'll order another bearing and give it another try in a few days when it arrives. The sun came out and it's tolerable so maybe I'll get out there and start dismantling the apron and cleaning the parts.
:bawling:

Last edited:
At least these temps will kill a lot of the invasive pests, like iguanas and pythons that we have around here. Last time it got this cold, the iguanas were dropping dead out of the trees!
Well that sure makes it easier to pick them up, skin em, cook em and eat em! Yuuuuumy! :drool:
PETA- "People Eating Tasty Animals!"

Update: I disassembled the apron and incase people don't know this, there are a million parts in that sucker!

Attachments

• 20200122_152234.jpg
    20200122_152234.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back