South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

so the female V in the bottom of the base plate is larger than the male bed V? Stick a piece of plastic/ brass to one side of the female V in the bottom of the base plate to take up the slack.

I just broke out another $105 for a complete tailstock assembly. I don't believe the tailstock that I have is even a South Bend.

Attachments

• p (2).jpg
    p (2).jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 20
so the female V in the bottom of the base plate is larger than the male bed V? Stick a piece of plastic/ brass to one side of the female V in the bottom of the base plate to take up the slack.
No I just want to make it right with the correct tailstock. I'll see if I can find out what lathe my tailstock fits and try to sell it.

Update:
I just did a web search for the different vintage tailstocks and found out mine is for an Atlas/Craftsman 54 series, 10" lathe.

Last edited:
I sure hope this lathe works out for me as I now have $1975 invested. Not to mention probably around 100 labor hours. I still am in the dark as to weather the lathe bed is going to have any accuracy.

I'm going to bet that it's for a Heavy 10.
Edit; or an Atlas
atlas10tailparts.JPG

You can sell this extra tailstock. Atlas Craftsman tailstocks bring good money on Ebay. Someone foisted a huge box of junk lathe parts on me. I tried to refuse it, but he said I could sell it on Ebay. I was able to use a grand total of 2 parts from the entire box, but the rest sold pretty quickly. I was shocked.

I just broke out another $105 for a complete tailstock assembly. I don't believe the tailstock that I have is even a South Bend.

Well, you didn't have any other use for that money, did you?

You are correct that the TS isn't a SB.

Well, you didn't have any other use for that money, did you?
You are correct that the TS isn't a SB.

Well it looks good sitting there doing nothing!

Attachments

• 20200129_163307.jpg
    20200129_163307.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200129_163223.jpg
    20200129_163223.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
Yea! My parts arrived today! I finished off the apron, cross slide and compound assemblies. I did find out once installed on the lathe bed that the horizontal traverse wouldn't work. Looked at the mateing of the gear and bed teeth and found the gear was worn just enough to not mesh together. So I put washers under the five bed teeth screws and now it works just fine. (Don't you just love it when I talk technical parts description?) Tomorrow I'll finish off the QCGB with the new tumbler bearing and put it on the lathe bed. I'll also start looking at how I'll install the counter shaft and motor.

Last edited:
The "bed teeth" is called a "rack".

Are you sure that the gear is that worn? If things don't properly line up, you'll never get the lead screw in place.

Back