South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Here's what I did on my Clausing so I don't forget. Originally wrote on the lathe with a Sharpie then printed labels with a Brother label maker. Smarter person would have cleaned the Sharpie off first . . .

Love those Brother label machines. Get your tape refills from ebay/aliexpress 1/10 the price!

Telltale signs of a lathe being used in a school is when the back of the compound is damaged from running into the chuck. The rest of the lathe sees very little use. Given the amount of wear, yours was likely used in a production environment

Today I installed the counter-shaft assembly and motor. Already had a 50" flat belt and had to buy a 42" V-belt. To check the running I just put a plug on the end of the motor's cord. Found a lot of gear noise. I isolated the gear train noise from the spindle by pulling the plug on the bull gear and everything was quite so the problem mostly is the forward/reverse gears. Gonna have to look for a deal on those gears. Did a test cut and seemed to work fine except for slop in the cross slide and compound even though I put new nuts in both. Tonight or maybe tomorrow I'll wire up the switch after cleaning and painting the gear guard/switch assembly. I hope things will get better for all my work and investment.

Last edited:
Put some open gear grease on those gears and they will run silent.

Put some open gear grease on those gears and they will run silent.

Bad idea. Only use the recommended oil on the gears. REASON: Grease will grab and HOLD any swarf that gets back there and possibly jam the teeth. Oil will RELEASE the swarf that gets on it and it will be thrown off. As you have found out while cleaning everything, swarf gets EVERYWHERE!

Ordered forward/reverse gear assembly. Here's couple pics. Last pic is what I just ordered and the gears look pretty good.

Attachments

• 20200203_174557.jpg
    20200203_174557.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200203_174623.jpg
    20200203_174623.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600 (29).jpg
    s-l1600 (29).jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Bad idea. Only use the recommended oil on the gears. REASON: Grease will grab and HOLD any swarf that gets back there and possibly jam the teeth. Oil will RELEASE the swarf that gets on it and it will be thrown off. As you have found out while cleaning everything, swarf gets EVERYWHERE!
I would normally agree with that. I like to keep chips and grease segregated. I've been using it on the back end of lathes for a few years now. Haven't experienced any chips stuck in the grease. I do keep the covers closed when I'm running the machines. If it's a concern, you could just put a drip pan under the gears and keep them well oiled.

I would normally agree with that. I like to keep chips and grease segregated. I've been using it on the back end of lathes for a few years now. Haven't experienced any chips stuck in the grease. I do keep the covers closed when I'm running the machines. If it's a concern, you could just put a drip pan under the gears and keep them well oiled.
Nope. the gears are worn out and I'm replacing them.

Today I wired up the power switch and put a new power cord on same. Took the 3-jaw apart and cleaned and lubed everything. I still have to clean, paint and install the taper assembly. Until I get the new for/rev assembly not much more to do. Does anyone know if there is a mod for the for/rev assembly where a person doesn't have to loosen up the retaining bolt to reverse the spindle direction?

reverse quick chg.jpg

I tapped a hole in the bolt and added a lever to enable toolless changing of the reversing gears. Did the same thing below to release and tighten the banjo. If you move the compound frequently, you can add a similar lever for that too.

Last edited:
Back