South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

How does the QCGB work? Knowing nothing about how to use it I have a question. With the two tumbler arms resting all the way down and input shaft is turned, by hand, the lead screw does not turn. Is this normal? Do the tumblers have to be engaged for any movement of the lead screw?? Does the right side tumbler have to be put into one of the holes in order to get a lead screw movement??20200201_093147.jpg

Last edited:
How does the QCGB work? Knowing nothing about how to use it I have a question. With the two tumbler arms resting all the way down and input shaft is turned, by hand, the lead screw does not turn. Is this normal? Do the tumblers have to be engaged for any movement of the lead screw?? Does the right side tumbler have to be put into one of the holes in order to get a lead screw movement??View attachment 312211
Yes and yes

Ok I just came back in from my shop and have it figured out. Both have to be selected for lead screw movement. "Now" another question about the cross slide movement. The cross slide will only move outward and does not move inward. What is the mechanical fault that would cause this situation? Do I have another apron part that is worn excessively?

Ok I just came back in from my shop and have it figured out. Both have to be selected for lead screw movement. "Now" another question about the cross slide movement. The cross slide will only move outward and does not move inward. What is the mechanical fault that would cause this situation? Do I have another apron part that is worn excessively?
To move the opposite direction you have to reverse the lead screw by using the reversing lever WHILE THE LATHE IS NOT RUNNING...

To move the opposite direction you have to reverse the lead screw by using the reversing lever WHILE THE LATHE IS NOT RUNNING...

Oh dang! That really makes sense!!! Glad you been watching over me all this time. Now I have one less worry about some more money to be spent on worn out parts. Thanks
:bang head:

I'm quite aways from getting the counter shaft-assembly and motor installed. Once installed I'm have to get a flat belt measurement and order it. Still have to strip, clean and paint the various parts. I also wrapped the horizontal traverse gear shaft with shim stock and tightened it up quite a bit.

Last edited:
I also wrapped the horizontal traverse gear shaft with shim stock and tightened it up quite a bit.

If you have a mill, you could bore out the case and install a bushing to take the wobble out of the shaft.

Yea! My new/old tailstock and QCGB data plate came in today. I also checked my ways with a dial indicator and from headstock to about 2/3 away I get a reading of 0.000 -.001 and the goes on up to about .018 towards the end.

Attachments

• 20200201_165304 (1).jpg
    20200201_165304 (1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200201_170443.jpg
    20200201_170443.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
Back