South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

How did u measure this? From the cross slide is meaningless as it just follows the wear off the ways. Measure from the tailstock to the side of the v way will be better as the ways under the tail stock are usually less worn

How did u measure this? From the cross slide is meaningless as it just follows the wear off the ways. Measure from the tailstock to the side of the v way will be better as the ways under the tail stock are usually less worn
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks

For the flat belt I use a 445K6 serpentine automotive belt works great! <$7 on ebay

445= 44.5" and K6 = 6 ribs approx 7/8" wide

The mounting plate for the tail stock isn't original (if you didn't already know).

The mounting plate for the tail stock isn't original (if you didn't already know).
Yes I know the Atlas 10" isn't. The new/old SB looks to be original.

Oh dang! That really makes sense!!! Glad you been watching over me all this time. Now I have one less worry about some more money to be spent on worn out parts. Thanks
:bang head:

I'm quite aways from getting the counter shaft-assembly and motor installed. Once installed I'm have to get a flat belt measurement and order it. Still have to strip, clean and paint the various parts. I also wrapped the horizontal traverse gear shaft with shim stock and tightened it up quite a bit.
Here's what I did on my Clausing so I don't forget. Originally wrote on the lathe with a Sharpie then printed labels with a Brother label maker. Smarter person would have cleaned the Sharpie off first . . .

Bruce

Stuck labels on my head stock for feed direction. Naturally, the opposite is implied when the feed reverse lever is thrown in the opposite position (Cross: In -> Out in the lower position, Long. Head -> Tail in the upper position).
20200202_084556.jpg

Also labeled the apron feed lever. You can still see the original Sharpie "L" and "C" under the labels. Should have cleaned those off first.
20200202_084609.jpg

Yes I know the Atlas 10" isn't. The new/old SB looks to be original.

The SB tailstock base has the part number PT51K3 and is made out of cast iron. The part number will be cast into the part. The design of the TS base doesn't appear to have change from the start of production to when they stopped making 9" lathes in the mid to late 1960's. Your tailstock base looks to be made from a piece of mild steel.

Here's a pic of a 1947 9A tailstock to compare with yours (its from member Paula over at the PM forum):

9A TAIL.jpg

However, if the centerline of the tailstock lines up with the centerline of the headstock, then I wouldn't worry about it. You'll do a test cut to verify alignment when everything is together.

For the flat belt I use a 445K6 serpentine automotive belt works great! <$7 on ebay

445= 44.5" and K6 = 6 ribs approx 7/8" wide
What I like about the flat belts is that I can pull the joining pin out instead of removing the counter-balance shaft to install/remove the belt.
How's the fit of your new tailstock to the bed ways?

It fits "Purrrrrrrfect!" I've got all the gear train back on the headstock and adjusted. I used a piece of a paper bag between the gear mesh for adjustment. Had a busy day trying to get all the parts back on the bed and bolted the lathe bed to the table stand. I decided that I would finish the painting another day when it's warmer. I still need to clean paint off tailstock, prime and paint as well as the headstock gear cover. My fingertips are just plain in pain from all the cleaning. I want to make this puppy run "tomorrow!"

Last edited:
I've been kinda keeping track of the hours I've been working on this lathe. Glad I'm retired and is a labor of love cause I've got about 130 hours into this catastrophe! I'll bet this lathe was used in a high school training class. Just too much abuse/ Here's a before picture.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back