South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Gotta find a weak minded person, with strong back, that can help me get the lathe bed and table off my truck!! I'm guessing the lathe bed weighs around 150 lbs. (Can't believe it's 84 degrees in the middle of January here in Tampa, Fl.)

Attachments

• 20200114_074239.jpg
    20200114_074239.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I was also wondering what that gear is for as it's taller than the apron.

I was also wondering what that gear is for as it's taller than the apron.
I believe that gear is for selecting in and out directions for the powered cross feed.

Used Dremel to clean up weld up voids and put first coat of J-B Weld. From back side it was not welded but seems secure.

Update: 9pm Scraped first coat of JB Weld and added a second smoothing coat.

Attachments

• 20200114_155050.jpg
    20200114_155050.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200114_155559.jpg
    20200114_155559.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
LX, gotta give you credit for laughing about getting a rough lathe and sticking through it. You'll be proud of the work you put into it even if the value isn't what you paid. This is a hobby after all :)

You might want to take the QCGB to a welding shop and have the casting brazed. This will make it a lot stronger. Also, take the time now to remove the gear box index plate - you can push the pins out from the back.

I don't see any ridge on the bed, it may be ok, just stone the dings flat. How is the wear on the bottom of the saddle?

I don't see any ridge on the bed, it may be ok, just stone the dings flat. How is the wear on the bottom of the saddle?
You would have to zoom in on the lathe bed pic, poor photography, to see them. Haven't got to the saddle yet as still working on the headstock, which I ordered another spindel, and the QCGB.

Following this thread as I am going down the same rabbit hole later this year.

Question: Are all the consumables needed for a restoration like this available somewhere in kit form that would include everything needed?

Back