South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

I think I might have a good retirement "keep me busy" thing.......wow! these older lathes are awesome...great for the hobby folks and industry drops them off the map because the bigger guys didn't buy...:mad:

There are so many lathes going "cheap" at auctions here in Ontario here (Canada) or even buying a total lathe and (sadly) parting it out to keep others going.......

Canadian dollars = so like 75% in US?

There are a lot of parts being sold off etc. the old smaller lathes are the best.

I have been shipping parts of an old 9" Utilathe all over Canada and the US to keep the hobby guys going - so cool! 4 lathes live out of 1 messed up and abused one.

I do not want to be a stock hoarder of parts but if I can assist someone in preserving a lathe.....let me know

You might want to make a claim against the seller thru ebay. Did he disclose everything wrong / broken with the lathe? Even the frozen QCGB should have been disclosed.

You might want to make a claim against the seller thru ebay. Did he disclose everything wrong / broken with the lathe? Even the frozen QCGB should have been disclosed.
I sent him an email of my dissatisfaction of it's condition for what I paid. He embellished quite a bit. I already knew that I was going to have to buy a counter-shaft assembly. He even sent me a video of it the lathe running and it's functions working except the QCGB. The QCGB couldn't have worked cause it was too functed up with crud. Like I said earlier, "A fool is soon parted with his money!" That's me! I'll get it squared away and it will be nice and sweet running.

It's going to be a lot of "fun" putting that QCGB back together with all the parts. Bet it takes me couple times to get it correct. Glad I pre-ordered the felt seal kit and it's here. The apron also looks like a challange but have not tore into that yet. Think I have enough to worry with at the moment. There was so much swarf and crud so I used a high pressure washer on everything after disassembly. Lot of cleaning to be done with mineral spirits and brushes.

It's going to be a lot of "fun" putting that QCGB back together with all the parts. Bet it takes me couple times to get it correct. Glad I pre-ordered the felt seal kit and it's here. The apron also looks like a challange but have not tore into that yet. Think I have enough to worry with at the moment. There was so much swarf and crud so I used a high pressure washer on everything after disassembly. Lot of cleaning to be done with mineral spirits and brushes.
Yep the QCGB is a square SOB and took me about 1/2 dozen tries to get it right. If I were to do it again that is really the only part I would have left together to replace the wicks. Find a bucket of carb cleaner, remove the old wicks and let it soak for a long while. It would be even better to put it in a ultrasonic cleaner to warm the carb cleaner up. Then replace the wicks.

My first 9A was almost as bad, but after a good cleanup and replacing the worm gear in the apron, it worked fine for years. Do you have a photo of the cast iron bearings? How's the bed wear?

I wouldn't totally disassemble the QCGB or apron though, a good flushing with solvent will suffice.

My first 9A was almost as bad, but after a good cleanup and replacing the worm gear in the apron, it worked fine for years. Do you have a photo of the cast iron bearings? How's the bed wear?

I wouldn't totally disassemble the QCGB or apron though, a good flushing with solvent will suffice.
Already took the QCGB apart and a good thing cause every single oil passage was gunked up. To do a good restoration I believe everything should be taken apart, inspected and make sure all is well. Bed is not the best as it has a lot of dings in it. I'll get a pic of the headstock bearings in a bit.

Should have seen everything before pressure washing.

Attachments

• 20200114_074319.jpg
    20200114_074319.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20200114_074841.jpg
    20200114_074841.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200114_073912.jpg
    20200114_073912.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200114_073948.jpg
    20200114_073948.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
At the bottom of the pic of the back of the apron, which shows the half-nut, there is a gear. Where did that gear come from? It is seriously worn and will have to be replaced.

How did you get the gear cover off with the spindle "attachment"?

At the bottom of the pic of the back of the apron, which shows the half-nut, there is a gear. Where did that gear come from? It is seriously worn and will have to be replaced.

How did you get the gear cover off with the spindle "attachment"?
Loosened cover hinge and slide off the bed. I'm guessing you talking about the worm gear. The worm gear has to be curved in order to ride along the lead screw. That said, yes there is wear on the worm gear but will just have to work as is unless it fails then I'll replace.

Attachments

• 20200114_074033.jpg
    20200114_074033.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200114_074124.jpg
    20200114_074124.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200114_074506.jpg
    20200114_074506.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back