Stick or Post Frame Shop

@ddickey, $10/sheet is too high a price for OSB. The per pallet price from Lowes/Home Depot is around $7/sheet. You're in Menards territory, should be the same. I recently finished my OSB interior sheeting in my shop. What you were being warned about is OSB's strengths and weaknesses. The stuff is insane strong in shear, but if you try to mount something on your wall with a screw, the screw will pull out. You need to use "mollies" of some type. I've tried several, from the metal ones you pound in to the plastic ones that split and swell as you tighten down, and they work. For mounting, OSB is not anywhere as strong as laminate plywood. If you mount "boards" (because I don't know a ledger from a perlin) and screw them into studs, then you have a nice structure to mount to. Otherwise, add an extra fastener for every two and be observant of your weight load. You can still mount plenty of stuff to OSB, you just have to treat it more like drywall and use good anchors if you can't get into studs. It's the price you pay for saving thousands over plywood sheet...

ee957f539224faf834e51307f27bacf1.jpg

Last edited:
Menards price is $20.97. $18.66 after rebate.
$25.43 for plywood same size. Probably going to need ~ 30 sheets. Upper 4' will be tin as well as the ceiling.
He also said lumbers price is skyrocketing.
1597363531094.png

Last edited:
Wow! I bought at 30% less in May. Plywood was more than double. It would have been nice, but I was already way over budget by the time I broke ground.

I think the fact that screws pull out of OSB is a minor obstacle. Use the right hardware and problem solved. If you want to put up some major weight, use the studs.

@BGHansen Do you think the OSB is a good material for anchoring? There is a guy selling 5/8" OSB 4' x 8' for $10 sheet. Thinking about using this for the new shop interior. The pole barn people I met w/ today said osb is not a good choice but I'm not so sure about that.
I've been happy with the OSB, mine is 7/16" roof sheathing. Like Pontiac428 said, great in shear, but adequate for hanging on the wall in random places. I have some of the tubular "A" frame holders for air hoses and extension cords that are not in a stud and they've held fine. I recall paying around $7 a sheet for mine, but 8' 2x4's were well under $2 at the time. $10 for a 5/8" sheet sounds like a pretty good price. Our Menards has 7/16" for $13 right now, 5/8" is $17.77, curiously 7/8" is $17.26 or cheaper than the 5/8" (plus an additional 11% when on rebate).

I regret air nailing mine up with 2 1/2" sinkers. Royal PITA if I need to pull a panel at this point. All of the ones I've pulled are now screwed in place.

Bruce

Menards price is $20.97. $18.66 after rebate.
$25.43 for plywood same size. Probably going to need ~ 30 sheets. Upper 4' will be tin as well as the ceiling.
He also said lumbers price is skyrocketing.
View attachment 333584

Good lord. Those prices went out the roof. Interesting thing is that checking the Menards website the cost of OSB is $14.55 per sheet. I paid about $7.50 a sheet last year for my house. BUT, the cost of a precut 2x6 is $6.04 which is only about 50 cents more than I paid last year I believe.
I covered my walls in sanded CDX grade 5/8" plywood. Occasionally at Menards you will find plywood that has been sanded but did not make grade for the BC standard, so it gets placed in the CDX stacks. I paid $15 a sheet last year. I see now it is $25. Man, I am glad I built when I did. LOL

Looks like they were all sold. You snooze you lose.

Sounds like an other score for Covid reading how prices have changed in less than a year.

Good read though. Depending on if my retirement home comes with a shop or I have to build one, this information is invaluable.

I found a guy selling a bunch of left over 5/8 cdx so think it was plywood. $20/sheet. I only need about 30 or so. Might do it but nowhere to store.

CDX is exterior grade plywood used for sheathing on walls or roofs. It is usually pretty knotty with pieces missing etc. You might find the sanded plywood I mentioned earlier at Menards for only $5 a sheet more. $5x30 is only $150. I would rather spend the extra money and get some nice stuff. Depending on your schedule, time will solve this issue. 7/16" 4x8 OSB is my mark for determining where the market is. I have seen it as low as $6 a sheet and honestly, no higher than what we are currently seeing.

Back