Stick or Post Frame Shop

Here a few pics of my sanded BC 5/8" ply I bought last year for $15 a sheet at Menards.

Attachments

• 2020-08-14 10.10.08.jpg
    2020-08-14 10.10.08.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 2020-08-14 10.10.33.jpg
    2020-08-14 10.10.33.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 2020-08-14 10.11.01.jpg
    2020-08-14 10.11.01.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
My shop started life as a 24 x 48 pole barn with dirt floor. When I began to move from a livestock operation to automotive and machining, I converted it into an enclosed 4 bay garage with a concrete floor. Given the ceiling height, we were able to get a backhoe in there and dig a 5' deep pit that I use for oil changing on vehicles and farm equipment. I installed an air line and electricity in the pit before blocking the sides and pouring the slab, so I have lights/electricity and can use pneumatic tools down there. A few years ago, I added a 16 x 20 studded wall annex to the building that is now the primary section for my machine shop.

I'm no builder, but it seems to me for a shop, you're better off with pole barn construction. Given that my original construction was primarily used for equipment storage, I built it with higher than normal floor-to-ceiling span, which was a relatively easy and cost efficient option with a pole barn. I suspect studded wall construction would have been far more expensive to achieve the same clearance and structural stability.

If I had it to build over again, I would change very little. The original build did not anticipate plumbing and electrical supply needs, so I would have incorporated tweaks to allow for that. Both have been conveniently and appropriately added, but it would have been easier if factored into the original construction. Other than that, pole barn construction seems to be ideal for a heavily used shop.

Regards,
Terry

Good lord. Those prices went out the roof. Interesting thing is that checking the Menards website the cost of OSB is $14.55 per sheet. I paid about $7.50 a sheet last year for my house. BUT, the cost of a precut 2x6 is $6.04 which is only about 50 cents more than I paid last year I believe.
I covered my walls in sanded CDX grade 5/8" plywood. Occasionally at Menards you will find plywood that has been sanded but did not make grade for the BC standard, so it gets placed in the CDX stacks. I paid $15 a sheet last year. I see now it is $25. Man, I am glad I built when I did. LOL
$34/sheet now.

Shop is going up in October.

Prices for wood treated or not have doubled and more since April. Just built a wooden platform for a shed floor and 10 sheet of plywood treated and 24 2x8s over $1200!

@ddickey I was just at Menards and was floored at the prices. Nearly $22 a sheet for 7/16 OSB. Ran into a friend there and he was trying to re-do his deck. No materials. We both decided to heck with it and went kayaking with our families that day. LOL.

Well, whichever way you go you won't regret plywood on the wall, that is for sure. I have been installing cabinets and other stuff in my shop and it sure is nice not to have to find a stud.

Back