Still Confused with Conventional and Climb Milling

If you have a manual mill with manual table advance with X and Y hand wheels, maybe you can learn the difference by feel. Take a lengthwise cut down one side of the work piece, say .010" depth of cut. Then take another .010" cut on the same side of the work piece but in the opposite direction. One direction will be conventional milling, the other will be climb milling. The handwheel will turn much easier when climb milling than when conventional milling. If you watch the direction the cutter is rotating vs the direction the work piece is traveling, you can see why that happens.

Tom

If you have a manual mill with manual table advance with X and Y hand wheels, maybe you can learn the difference by feel. Take a lengthwise cut down one side of the work piece, say .010" depth of cut. Then take another .010" cut on the same side of the work piece but in the opposite direction. One direction will be conventional milling, the other will be climb milling. The handwheel will turn much easier when climb milling than when conventional milling. If you watch the direction the cutter is rotating vs the direction the work piece is traveling, you can see why that happens.

Tom
Thanks.

I climb mill all the time but you must be very cognizant about what's going on. For beginner's don't don't do it.
Also my machine is new. I've never climb milled on an old worn machine. Guessing it would be a very different experience.

This might also help clarify the difference.

Tom

I climb mill all the time but you must be very cognizant about what's going on. For beginner's don't don't do it.
Also my machine is new. I've never climb milled on an old worn machine. Guessing it would be a very different experien
This might also help clarify the difference.

Tom
Tom, an excellent video. The BP was my first mill bought about 4 years ago. I knew nothing of milling, and would run the table in one direction, then back to take another cut. Of course, the bed was jerking when making a pass in one direction only. At first I thought the lead screw/nut was worn out. Research gave the explanation of climb/down milling versus up/conventional milling And only then did I realize what has happening.
I came across this post, and read all the pages. I was hoping to clarify for others the confusion. I had come across the two illustrations shown here. To me it added confusion, the first example seeming correct, the second seeming wrong.
In the second illustration, the feed/cut direction is shown. But, if the direction of feed is correct for both climb and conventional milling, the tool would not engage the workpiece. What am I missing here? Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 55
Tom, an excellent video. The BP was my first mill bought about 4 years ago. I knew nothing of milling, and would run the table in one direction, then back to take another cut. Of course, the bed was jerking when making a pass in one direction only. At first I thought the lead screw/nut was worn out. Research gave the explanation of climb/down milling versus up/conventional milling And only then did I realize what has happening.
I came across this post, and read all the pages. I was hoping to clarify for others the confusion. I had come across the two illustrations shown here. To me it added confusion, the first example seeming correct, the second seeming wrong.
In the second illustration, the feed/cut direction is shown. But, if the direction of feed is correct for both climb and conventional milling, the tool would not engage the workpiece. What am I missing here? Thanks, Paul
The first illustration is correct.
In the second illustration the arrow and the wording are not correct. As you noted the feed cannot be in the direction shown or the cutter wouldn't engage the work.
The feed for both is toward the cutter; from right to left for the climb illustration and left to right for the conventional illustration.

Last edited:
Thanks, I hope this clears things up for others. The ‘wrong’ illustration is not the only one I came across showing the wrong feed direction.

Back