Still Confused with Conventional and Climb Milling

To add to my confusion now we added the headstock rotation, LOL.

I’m glad though because I never paid attention to this critical task. I use a Sherline VS 90VDC motor with a KBIC controller for both my lathe and mill. I only have to remove two 10-32 SHCS to switch the motor from the lathe to the mill. The KBIC controller does not have a reverse switch; it only has an ON/OFF switch and a VS knob for the speed.

Right now the Taig lathe turns clockwise when viewed from the tailstock and the Taig mill also turns clockwise when viewed from the top. But it looks like I have the rotation wrong and I have to verify this before proceeding to reverse the wiring and have both the mill and lathe turn CCW.

The Sherline motor is supplied with 120VAC and to switch the rotation I guess I have to switch the black and white wires. Now they are connected black to black and white to white. Any one knows how to change the wires to reverse the rotation?

I completed the V-Groove in several passes and I made a YouTube video from one of the passes

Nicolas

All this push or pull stuff is silly. Look at the cutting edge of the tool. As it turns, where a chip is coming off, if the tool edge is moving opposite the way the part is moving, it’s conventional. If the tool edge is moving in the same direction as the work, it’s climb milling. Same on lathe, mill table saw, router, etc.

Are the rules for conventional or climb milling the same when you work on a LATH or a MILL?

If the answer is yes, then the posts below are not correct unless I misunderstand something which is quite possible due to lack of experience.

The first link below (posts #8 and 10) which refers to LATHE work says the push the stock against the cutter for conventional milling and the second link below (post #15) which refers to MILL work says to pull the stock against the cutter for conventional milling.

After reading many documents my understanding is for conventional milling, which I prefer, is to push the stock against the cutter (cutter turns clockwise) but now I wonder if this is true.

Nicolas

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/are-any-rules-how-to-feed-lock-axes.69149/#post-579034

Posts #8 and 10 says “Note that by my method, you'll be cutting "conventional" while moving the part away from you and "climb" cutting while moving the part toward you. Pay attention to the way those cuts are acting and adjust your depth of cut accordingly. Climb cutting is more risky depending on machine stiffness, condition and the particular set up.

Climb cutting can pull the part into the cut, often because of backlash clearance in the lead screw, with undesirable results. Leaving a little drag (lock) on the travel might help. You just have to get to know your equipment and process”.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/confused-with-headstock-rpm-settings.72942/

Post #15 says “First pass was climb milling, second pass was conventional”

Even the best conventional vs climb milling illustrations can be confusing. Trust me tho, after you have had your workpiece gobbled by your machine tool once, they will make perfect sense! Sorry not to be of more help than this.

Bloody Hell, this is the one of the most simple decisions made in a machine shop.
The question with a manual machine is not climb or conventional mill, it is can I climb mill at all without breaking anything.
If you can make the machine climb then do so at all times as you will save time and tooling costs.
If it will not climb then you are stuck with conventional milling, this applies to lathe milling or milling machine work equally.

Single point lathe work has no climb/conventional option, the tools only have 1 cutting direction that will work.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this but as I see it when convention milling if your pushing for the feed the teeth of the cutter should be pushing back the opposite way, resisting the feed and keeping backlash at bay. If you're pulling for the feed, the teeth of the cutter should be pulling the opposite way, again resisting the feed and eliminating backlash. So trying to determine the type of milling by wether the feed is pushing or pulling doesn't really work. Now I assume plunging a center cutting end mill into the work essentially drilling a hole is called plunge milling but is it still called plunge milling when you extend the hole to make a slot? It seems if you're cutting a slot the full width of the end mill you're climb milling and conventional milling simultaneously. I never knew what to call that.

........So trying to determine the type of milling by wether the feed is pushing or pulling doesn't really work. Now I assume plunging a center cutting end mill into the work essentially drilling a hole is called plunge milling but is it still called plunge milling when you extend the hole to make a slot? It seems if you're cutting a slot the full width of the end mill you're climb milling and conventional milling simultaneously. I never knew what to call that.

That's a good question for someone with experience to answer

Back