Still Confused with Conventional and Climb Milling

Not strictly true ! It is conventional milling. The cutting is taking place in the direction that the cutter is moving, in the arc formed by the diameter of the cutter.

I agree that if you want an accurate width slot then clean up the sides with a smaller cutter.
True that all of the cutting is in the 180 degree arc on the leading half of the end mill. but it seems to me that the cutter is conventional milling as the cutting edge enters the arc and climb milling as it exits the arc with a transition in the middle. Maybe that’s why it’s called slotting instead of conventional or climbing? Those terms do apply when the sides of the slot are being cleaned up or the slot is being enlarged with an end mill smaller than slot width.

But, I could be wrong. I was once. ;)

Tom

Not strictly true ! It is conventional milling. The cutting is taking place in the direction that the cutter is moving, in the arc formed by the diameter of the cutter.

I agree that if you want an accurate width slot then clean up the sides with a smaller cutter.

If you are milling a slot at the cutter diameter with a round tool in one pass one side will always be climbing and the other conventional.
This is unavoidable in such an operation using a rotating tool.
If you have ever done this you will notice that the side of the slot that was climbing has a noticeably better finish then the other side.

I the diagram above, when you say "feed direction" are you feeding the stock or feeding the tool?
This page discusses it well and also discusses the importance of the application.
https://www.harveyperformance.com/in-the-loupe/conventional-vs-climb-milling/
Robert
The tool, in this scenario that is unimportant as one side will be climbing and one side conventional milling at all times regardless of feed direction.
The Harvey tool illustrations pretty much explain the entire concept. What could be more simple to understand?

Original message deleted. Never mind. Didn't intend to start a shouting match.

Tom

Last edited:
This is unimportant when milling BOTH SIDES OF A SLOT in one pass with a ROUND tool held at a RIGHT ANGLE to the work.
The feed direction is has no effect on the work aside from machine and tooling deflection.

One point not yet covered,

When conventional milling, the cutter is sneaking into the cut, just barely scraping the material as it enters the work.

When climb milling, the cutter takes a big bite as it enters the work and leaves, scapeing the thin surface.

I suppose this just confuses those who haven't experienced it.

The tool, in this scenario that is unimportant as one side will be climbing and one side conventional milling at all times regardless of feed direction.
The Harvey tool illustrations pretty much explain the entire concept. What could be more simple to understand?

How can you climb mill when there is little or no material to cut when slotting ! Yes the tool will rub and the trailing side will get polished.
The Harvey tool post explains it well, but unfortunately doesn't deal with slotting.

Back