Still one of my favorite machines

I just picked up the Covel version of this saw. Mine was missing the original movable vise jaw, and a previous owner had bolted on a shop made one which didn't hold together.

saw 2.jpg
Since i couldn't find an original replacement, I modified the previous fix which seems to hold well enough. I really like this little saw. This is the first time i've used a power hacksaw. Gotta say, it's a sweet little machine. Now for new paint.
IMG_3499.JPGIMG_3500.JPGIMG_3501.JPG

I don't know why but I still like hearing this little saw running in the background while I'm working on projects...

I just picked up the Covel version of this saw. Mine was missing the original movable vise jaw, and a previous owner had bolted on a shop made one which didn't hold together.

View attachment 332058
Since i couldn't find an original replacement, I modified the previous fix which seems to hold well enough. I really like this little saw. This is the first time i've used a power hacksaw. Gotta say, it's a sweet little machine. Now for new paint.
View attachment 332059View attachment 332060View attachment 332061

I have a Covel saw too. Like yours the vise was removed, but mine came with a decent 4" angle drill press vise. I plan to make a vise similar to the original one eventually.

I have a Covel saw too. Like yours the vise was removed, but mine came with a decent 4" angle drill press vise. I plan to make a vise similar to the original one eventually.

That would be nice. The quick adjust of the original design is definitely a plus. The threaded rod on mine is a 5/8" x 13tpi, which takes its sweet time cranking it open and closed. I might replace mine with an acme thread / nut, and if inspiration really strikes me, i might make a buttress threaded rod and a half nut. I need to get more comfortable with my lathe skills before tackling that one though.

We had a monster power hacksaw in my high school shop. It was so covered in grease and oil it looked like it had "grown" out of the floor like the interiors in the Alien movies. The downfeed mechanism used hydraulics but had long since worn out so you had to literally sit on it. Fun stuff. Good memories. '71 to '73 Cubberley HS Palo Alto- Mr. Harold Riddle RIP
-Mark

Last edited:
I have a little Keller Power Hack Saw, I grew up using my Dad's Large 3 phase Marvel, but I can't justify keeping that for my new place it just takes up too much space. The Keller is much more basement shop friendly and it breaks down into small pieces. mine has liquid cooling for the blade and uses a small air cylinder triggered by a micro switch to lift the blade on the back stroke. The blades last a long time if they are lubed or you use the flood cooling. The quickest way to break a blade is to not have the work piece clamped tight in the vice the blade will latch onto it and yank it right out, snapping the blade when it binds. TJ

I'm getting there on my rebuild. I got all the parts made and all the adjustments dialed in, then pulled the saw apart for a repaint. It's on my bench now, partially reassembled. Should be done in a day or two.

IMG_3576.jpgIMG_3577.JPGIMG_3578.JPG

@mikey,

I have a very old Miller's Fall Power Hacksaw. It's a relic. It needs work. I used it to cut everything and it works and cuts straight and square. I put my 11 year old on it and he loves it while I go do something else.

The problem I see with HF bandsaw is that its about the only affordable alternative most hobbyists have. Heck even machine shops I've walked into just go to harbor freight and buy one. I'm not trashing harbor freight, I go there all the time, but damn, call it pretentious if you want - I just can't see myself having a sheet-metal constructed machine next to all of the other old iron that I care for and take pride in. I admit it I'm a Power Hacksaw snob. Maybe I'm describing the meaning of the novelty of getting an old iron machine that simply cuts metal in one direction. So be it, I'm guilty!

I want a shaper too.

Back