Still one of my favorite machines

Nice job on the saw. Mine is still in line to get cleaned up. I like the color combination.

I just can't see myself having a sheet-metal constructed machine next to all of the other old iron that I care for and take pride in. I admit it I'm a Power Hacksaw snob. Maybe I'm describing the meaning of the novelty of getting an old iron machine that simply cuts metal in one direction. So be it, I'm guilty!

I want a shaper too.

In a hobby shop I think that is an entirely valid attitude. Most of us don't make money from our machines so we don't have to put efficiency and cost effectiveness front and center. Machines in a shop do give off a vibe and can add to the enjoyment of being in the shop. All brand new very efficient machines is also a thing that some enjoy, although this is also easier to justify. "New car smell" is a real thing not just a name of an air freshener and the smell of 60 year old grease and work is too. :)

It wasn't my goal to have all vintage machinery, but now that most of mine are 40+ year old US made machines, I do heavily lean that way on new additions to the shop.

@mikey,

I have a very old Miller's Fall Power Hacksaw. It's a relic. It needs work. I used it to cut everything and it works and cuts straight and square. I put my 11 year old on it and he loves it while I go do something else.

The problem I see with HF bandsaw is that its about the only affordable alternative most hobbyists have. Heck even machine shops I've walked into just go to harbor freight and buy one. I'm not trashing harbor freight, I go there all the time, but damn, call it pretentious if you want - I just can't see myself having a sheet-metal constructed machine next to all of the other old iron that I care for and take pride in. I admit it I'm a Power Hacksaw snob. Maybe I'm describing the meaning of the novelty of getting an old iron machine that simply cuts metal in one direction. So be it, I'm guilty!

I want a shaper too.

I totally get it. I think these old powered hacksaws are cool, too, and while I may never own one (not many exist in Hawaii) I can see the appeal. Besides, anything powered is better than a hacksaw!

That is gorgeous!
If it cuts even half as good as it looks, then it's a keeper!
Great work.
-brino

Thanks for the kind comments everybody. The saw does cut very well - nice and square and accurate. It’s also not that slow. I’d put it definitely faster and more accurate than by hand, definitely slower than a cold saw, and a bit slower (but maybe more accurate) than the bandsaw I’ve used. Then again, I set it, flip the switch, and walk away. It turns itself off when it gets through the cut.

It’s also a bit mesmerizing to watch it go.

Now on to the next project.

Back