Surface grinder wheel balancing from scratch, and on the cheap:

By the way Eric, that video isn’t my build. I was just showing the one I will copy once I get to that stage. To many other irons in the fire right now.
Anyway, I’m guessing he used fine thread because it’s less likely to unscrew. and probably a good idea to make sure the side with the “screw weights” is on the side of the grinder which doesn’t allow the rotation to unscrew the set screws. Probably not critical, but back in the old days.... Chrysler vehicles had right hand lug nuts on one side of the vehicle and left hand lug nuts on the other side. The engineers didn’t want the lug nuts unscrewing while you’re driving down the highway. Doubt it would happen and a little blue Loctite would solve it anyway. But, wouldn’t hurt to design it that way if possible I guess.
fwiw...as I edit this... I’m laughing at myself. The whole set screw designed on left or right is just typical of those rabbit holes I go down. Probably doesn’t really matter but I tend to overthink all this stuff. Not a great personality trait.

Last edited:
Ah, I misread that! I thought that was you in the video :)

Mine ends up being very similar, the JB Welded rails were concerning to me because I didnt want to get to the end and have it screwed up! Instead, using my planer blade + being able to reset it whenever seemed to be less likely to get screwed up!

I had been thinking 1/4-20 instead, but didn't have good reason. So when in the video he used 5/16-18, I thought there might have been justification.

Eric...I wouldn’t overthink what anyone uses as far as bolts and threads. Half the time...we use what we have on hand so we don’t have to run to a hardware. It’s more a move of convenience than rational analyzing best practices.
Especially when thinking about a set screw for a weight to balance a grinder wheel. Nothing structural there.

Last edited:
Back