The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

@Flyingfool has brought up a very important activity for this to work, Project Management! No doubt there are hundreds of people in this group that do this daily and some may enjoy taking on the task. Keeping track of who has the individual parts, expenses involved. completion schedules etc. may be more than our moderators want or are able to do. Nelson has put together and made it work with the effort of our very astute administrators, a marvelous website, this project should reflect his efforts.

My current view of this project would be the moderators acting as a board of directors, a Manager from the membership (or committee) and as many department heads from the membership the manager feels is necessary. I was taught in school the least effective way to make a decision is by committee, so be careful.

Perhaps a project like a steam engine that could be raffled off at machinist organizations at their annual meetings would be viable. This is just one of the many decisions that has to be made.

Have a good day
Ray

I'd be happy to participate in a group project.

I have a lathe and a CNC mill (as most do here!) but also metrology experience, I know GD&T, and I'm pretty darn good in CAD.

Didn't get through the whole thread, but I'd be happy to do a part of a project.

Couple of ideas. I am finishing a PM Research steam engine. All of the parts have tolerances on the prints so in theory, if each part was made to tolerance, the whole thing should go together nicely. I've found this to be true so far.

One of these engines can take in the realm of 50-150 man hours, so this might be a nice project for a 5-10 person team. Perhaps someone puts the money up front to buy the kit and ship out the castings to their team (and acts as the project manager), and in the end they keep the engine. Their team gets the benefit of having the fun of machining some interesting parts.

If more than 5-10 people want to do this, we can get 2-3 teams going and have a race to the finish!

GD&T Provides an unambiguous way of conveying design intent to a manufacturer. As a result, parts made by different manufacturers are assured of properly functioning as an assembly (assuming that the designer/draftsman did their jobs properly ;)).

Machinist

a person who does precision guesswork designed by those with questionable intelligence
;)

I started making a dividing head. I didn't really have a plan, and was just making it up as I went along. (I know. Failure to plan is a plan to fail.). I got as far as making the 40:1 worm gear and shaft. I had to make up tool to hob the gear, and a fixture to hold it for hobbing.

If I can get others to make the complimentary parts, I'd be ecstatic to use the tool and fixture to make more gears. I'd ship to participants to who would ship me their parts, and we'd all have a dividing head at the end.

I guess the first step would be to come up with an actual drawing.

Anyone want to join in?

I started making a dividing head. I didn't really have a plan, and was just making it up as I went along. (I know. Failure to plan is a plan to fail.). I got as far as making the 40:1 worm gear and shaft. I had to make up tool to hob the gear, and a fixture to hold it for hobbing.

If I can get others to make the complimentary parts, I'd be ecstatic to use the tool and fixture to make more gears. I'd ship to participants to who would ship me their parts, and we'd all have a dividing head at the end.

I guess the first step would be to come up with an actual drawing.

Anyone want to join in?
I'm game :)

Back