The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

I'd be OK with something like that for a bunch of projects, like the oiler/etc. Basically anything where I didn't put a bunch of money into my part.
That was my thought as well. My internet is running so slow today, I'm having a hard time keeping up. I think it's trying to tell me to get out there in the garage and get the space ready for the lathe. I was trying to find the message with the link to the oiler plans to thank you for the link. Was binge watching Abom79 last night and saw one someone sent to him several years ago. It was beautiful, and I been jones'en for one since I saw it.

We need to decide what we will do, will it be a contest or group project? We could vote on it and we need to decide who will make it or is it just for donating members.

One problem I should point out with the oil cans is the cost of brass. Brass screws especially have gotten very expensive. You could make them, but thread tolerance would contribute heavily to part compatibility.
Robert

Ok some one needs to make a poll so that we can decide what to make here is some that we came up with
Die filer
Oil can
Dividing head
And feel free to add on

Does the oil can need to be brass? It seems like we could use aluminum. Thread tolerance isn't that hard, wires or thread mics. For internal threads, make a gauge. If we have multiple of the same internal threads, maybe include the gauges in the box.

I'd like a die filer, but I think I would need to purchase castings to make one.

I think it makes sense to do something smaller for a first go round. Particularly if we can all end up with one at the end. Makes it a little more fun, and limits the potential losses from shipping and such. Maybe pass-around box style? Make x number of parts, ship around. Everyone makes some, keeps one from the box to build theirs, ship it on..

Does the oil can need to be brass? It seems like we could use aluminum. Thread tolerance isn't that hard, wires or thread mics. For internal threads, make a gauge. If we have multiple of the same internal threads, maybe include the gauges in the box.

I'd like a die filer, but I think I would need to purchase castings to make one.

I think it makes sense to do something smaller for a first go round. Particularly if we can all end up with one at the end. Makes it a little more fun, and limits the potential losses from shipping and such. Maybe pass-around box style? Make x number of parts, ship around. Everyone makes some, keeps one from the box to build theirs, ship it on..
I don't see any reason why it has to be Brass other than that is what it is traditionally made out of. I'm sure aluminum would be fine.

As far as the die filer... since we're making this a group project if we could find someone who is able to do castings, perhaps that could be 1 or 2 people's contribution!

1st person makes the dead-tree-carcass(or 3d printed?) mold, 2nd person casts, 3rd machines, etc. We'd have to find someone willing to do castings 1st though.

Since there are soldered joints on the oil can, aluminum is really hard to solder, it can be done but is not easy, Brass is very easy to solder, or braze, stainless is a bit harder to solder but still not to bad to braze steel will end up rusting unless someone can do plating of some kind. To make it out of AL it would need to have a bit of redesign to eliminate the soldered connections. For a first project I still like the oil can idea as it is simple and everyone gets one. And most have a use for one. Just have to figure out the best way for the logistics to get the parts around to everyone.

Bigger machines are hard to share just because of the shipping issues.

FWIW, for the die filer, I was thinking something inspired by/the size of: https://www.martinmodel.com/products/4-piece-die-filer-casting-set

My thought would be that we could change the design of the base to disassemble (perhaps just make the flange bolt on, so it can fit in a thinner box?

If i were designing it, I'd probably also want to make sure that the machine could be driven either by a lathe or a drill/etc. That way we wouldn't have to buy a motor.

I missed that the oil can is soldered/brazed. I do wish brass were not so expensive, it's a really nice looking metal and it's easy to work. Not the end of the world.

That little die filer would be interesting. But unless someone wants to do casting for us, the next option would probably be to have everyone order from the same place and perhaps share shop made parts between each other.

My thought on the die filer would be to re-purpose the existing mechanism. I found my imported one for $36... looks like $45 after a quick look, search term: "20V max cordless reciprocating saw sabre jigsaw battery Electric cutting blades" Looks decent inside!

You would need to make a tilting table, a base that held the mechanism and coupled to the table, something to power it (the supplied batteries could work), and something to slow it down. And, of course, a way to hold the files ;-)
Swapping the linear motion object to a custom one with a screw clamp would be pretty easy, or we could dream up a sawzall blade shank to file fitting (but you need a few of them...)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back