The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

I spent all night trying to find a
I have a suggestion...it's small, beautiful, easy to make multiple parts (maybe not as precision as I'd originally wanted) but what about Eagle 66 oil cans? Too small?
I've spent all night trying to find a built "trigger" assembly to make the eagle my first project. Can't find such a thing anywhere. I'm guessing some folks must have the skills to build such a part. That guy's not me, unfortunately...

I love the Eagle idea. Especially if
Think of something like a prefabricated building (not the mobile home type) when all the parts are made off site, different places by different people. It's kind of awe-inspiring watching it all come together.. the information on those blueprints coming together. SO....
1) it needs to have a level of precision (low tolerance)
2) it needs to be somewhat complicated...multiple parts
3) help me here!
someone had the prints for the complete project. I'd probably make the complete project for my shop, in addition to making a single part for the group. Who couldn't use another nice oil can, right?

Those are good ideas! A right angle milling head or slotting attachment for a mill are both fun seeming projects. If we designed it right, we might be able to flat-pack it into a flat rate box.

For example, if we made the part that goes on the spindle two 1/4" circle-to-square adapter parts, the body out of plate, plus gears/bushings, we can make it diassemble in a way that ships easy.

Additionally, it would make it somewhat easy to adapt to other mills by making different adapters.
I've been wishing my new purchase had a milling attachment, bein that I'll never afford a mill. Maybe a group of folks who have a certain make of lathe, and in similar financial circumstance, would be interested in such a build.

Those are my oil can plans. I would be gratified if people decide to proceed with that!
Robert

I've been wishing my new purchase had a milling attachment, bein that I'll never afford a mill. Maybe a group of folks who have a certain make of lathe, and in similar financial circumstance, would be interested in such a build.

So for that, I might consider checking out the 'can you make something for me' part of this forum! I know that if you came up with a set of plans that there are a few parts of one of those that I'd love to make on my tooling in exchange for materials+beer money. SO, if you do the CAD work, you might be able to crowd source manufacture.

Yep, I agree! The hope with only the lead person getting all the parts is that at least until it is completed, our risk is all in 1 person (rather than the list of people).

Lending it out of course would be difficult/dangerous, but from my perspective, the journey is the fun :)
What about an idea where at the completion of a build, one of the participants would somehow be chosen as a "winner" of the item? Then if they choose to loan it, it's their individual risk? Isn't the participation in the group build where the fun is?

What about an idea where at the completion of a build, one of the participants would somehow be chosen as a "winner" of the item? Then if they choose to loan it, it's their individual risk? Isn't the participation in the group build where the fun is?
I'd be OK with something like that for a bunch of projects, like the oiler/etc. Basically anything where I didn't put a bunch of money into my part.

That sounds like an awesome idea and I thank you very much, but I'm tech illiterate, so I'd have to rely on the skills of yet another good soul. I have been watching for the perfect example of one. Seems that each version has it's own weakness. I'm wide open for suggestions!!!
ave been watching a lot So for that, I might consider checking out the 'can you make something for me' part of this forum! I know that if you came up with a set of plans that there are a few parts of one of those that I'd love to make on my tooling in exchange for materials+beer money. SO, if you do the CAD work, you might be able to crowd source manufacture.

Back