The stupidity of todays society.

Labels like this, and there are many, have come about because of the plethora of lawyers in our society. The dangers have always existed and there have always been stupid people. But when it easy for stupid people who are injured to get $ as there are lawyers every where wanting to sue the manufacturer and get awards or settlements of $millions then the manufacturers are forced to try to prevent future problem. As to the person who probably caused the need for this law suit, he/she was probably trying to get high! It used to be airplane glue sniffing.

Some businesses have ceased just because of the high cost of liability insurance that has to be carried on every item ever produced over all time... by the firm just in case one of these events occurs .

I once hear a story about an injury law suit. The idiot was using a rotary mower to trim his hedges. Held it up in the air and ran it along the top of the hedge, and of course got injured. At trial you have a large company who makes mowers and such at the defendants table and a person who is injured and showing it via a missing arm, eye, or other injury or sitting in an wheel chair at the plaintiff's table. The jury knows the injured person is at fault, but feels sorry for the poor person who no longer has a way to make a living and who may have huge medical bills. So what is wrong with making this large faceless company help this poor fellow out, after all they should have put a safety label on the lawn mower! With a few cases where the company has to lay out millions of dollars resulting from the trial, future cases never have to go to court, the company's lawyers tell the company you may loose really big at court. You better just settle and give a way some smaller amount of money to make the problem disappear. These extremes actually do happen.

So who is the stupid person? The hedge trimmer, jury, lawyers, judges.... or the company who makes the product and does not put every conceivable label on the product? Who does not get sued? Only the little guy who has no resources. The lawyers will not take on a case as they can not make big bucks. Oh yes, the lawyers commonly work without a fee or hourly rates, but get 50% of the settlement or the jury award. So, of course, a quick settlement early on, where the lawyer does not have to spend much time or risk losing, is the path the lawyer wants the plaintiff to follow. Just get the cream off the top and on to the next case.

PS. For give my cynicism.
I think you’re underestimating the lawyers take. There was just an add on TV about the bad water at Camp Lejune. In the fine print the lawyers were getting closer to 60% plus expenses. The plaintiff would be lucky to get 25% of the settlement

After watching a few vids regarding various idiots at work and play my optimism regarding modern life is sinking fast.
I guess if we plot the nations stupidity levels on the bell curve half will fall on the left hand side so maybe we shouldnt be surprised.
What bought this to a head for me was the following label on my latest propane gas cylinder.
View attachment 467667
Who in their wildest dreams ever thought such a message was warranted.
I wonder how long it will be before we have warnings in swimming pools such as
Do not try to breathe underwater as it may cause death
yep, There are a lot of idiots out there. Some kids are thinking they can get high off propane. And since they are so stupid, the label will not help them. And to others it's "FAKE NEWS".

I think you’re underestimating the lawyers take. There was just an add on TV about the bad water at Camp Lejune. In the fine print the lawyers were getting closer to 60% plus expenses. The plaintiff would be lucky to get 25% of the settlement
A good friend of mine was actually at Camp Lejune during that time. He was contacted by one of the law firms about his situation and they determined that he was indeed eligible for up to $2M in compensation. (he has had both skin melanomas and cancerous polyps removed). That was last Spring. I recently asked him if had received anything yet. He told me that he was in the new batch of respondents and once they had close applications for that batch, they would divide up the awards among the eligible applicants. He said they projected sometime next year. It remains to be be seen as to how much of the $2M he will end up with.

Ex wife,daughter and grandson in a car accident caused by other driver.
All seriously injured and hospitalized.
Lawyer takes 1/3 then takes wages for time and expenses! She is still disabled and unfairly compensated, daughter recovered and unfairly compensated, grandson recovered and waiting until he is 28 years old to get any money.
This system is broke as are most of the systems in this country.
Between Attorneys and politicians this country is doomed.
P.S. they even tapped my car insurance....(yes, my insurance went up....yes she was an ex then)
Keep telling yourself they can't do that, they don't play by the same rules as we do.

I have no problem with a bell curve. Half the people will always be on the left side. What bothers me is that the curve is shifting to the left. Of the three R's, more and more people aren't proficient in any of them. What used to be the realm if imbeciles, idiots, and morons is becoming normal now.

We put our emphasis on things like video games and Tik Tok videos instead of learning skills to survive in modern society.

Back