The Ultimate Arc of Shame on Craigslist

Its funny how every ones minds takes a little different turn when they see this picture.

Being from a family of 4 boys and having 6 kids of my own, the first thing I think of is "Kids" and the second thing I think of is the image of a very t'ed off father when he found his proud son in the garage cutting the shackles off his leaf springs.

Reminds me of the time we tore the motor out of my mothers Vega while her and my dad were on vacation :)

Guys,

I agree that the machine could be repaired and if someone needs it and is inclined to do so then, have at it.

My concern is that whoever blasted a cutting torch across it really needs to examine their overall aptitude -very carefully. As beginners, we all make mistakes -it is totally expected; however, I contend that anyone who knows how to lite-up an acetylene torch should know enough to not be so careless. That was an act of either total disconcern for a piece of equipment or, it was an act of total unawareness of what happens with a cutting torch.

If it was due to total unawareness, that person really needs to think about never lighting a torch ever again. If a sane, adult person, living in the modern age knowingly picks up a loaded firearm and the first thing they do is look straight down the barrel -then that's a good sign that person should never handle a firearm as it's a sign they do not possess even the minimal inherent safety reflexes to exist in that field. Some people are indeed accident prone -and they regularly get dismissed from their jobs in the industrial trades.

Ray

I don't see how that could have been done with a single accidental pass with a torch. Perhaps they figured that the old junker drill press was ok to use as a cutting table and did some sort of production on it, cutting the same arc over and over. Or perhaps it was all done with drills, by running some sort of production with badly-designed tooling.

I don't think a torch did that. Why would a torch follow the same arc as the spindle? That's years and years of drilling by an adult with no shame.

Last edited:
If you can go to it andcheck the restof the machine out and it is tight it may be worth buying and fixing the table. I would not buy it if I could not run it and check it out. I share Ray c. concern about if they did that abuse to thetable....... But if the rest ofthe machine was tight you my beableto find a table that woud fit itsome where or make somerepares to that one.

I don't think a torch did that. Why would a torch follow the same arc as the spindle? That's years and years of drilling by an adult with no shame.

Or paid by the hour operators who were just doing as they were told. I agree that it was more likely drilling than torch work.

I'll add that CI and cutting torches don't normally see each other. Plasma yes, but oxy-fuel, no. You can do it, but CI doesn't "burn" like steel. That table has been drilled and hole-sawed near to death. Very unlikely that it was used as a cutting table. It would have burn-thru at more random areas.

I'll agree that if the rest of the machine is OK, or even salvageable.....I'd take it for the right price and either look for a replacement table, make a new on from scratch, or simply (and most likely) put a tooling plate on top of it.

I went back to Craigslist and searched for other ads with the same phone number. He has a trailer for sale and includes the address. A search shows it to be a welding shop. It would seem that it was used during fabrication or repair for welding jobs. (An assumption I have to admit), but it gives some credibility to the idea it was hourly workers not a home use piece of machinery.

I would say that they mounted their torch on the spindle and rotated the table from side to side to cut their product--you don't get a slot by drilling with bits--that has been cut with a torch--- but a flat plate on the top will solve the problem easily and be a good drill press for someone.---just think of all the nice arbor presses that have the top of ram all mushroomed from big hammers--lots of machines get misused, but we fix them back up.---Dave------------------:thinking:

That much heat could cause some warping somewhere. Once out of square it wouldn't be worth the trouble IMHO.
BB

you don't get a slot by drilling with bits

You do if you shamelessly do it over and over for years and years. Why would you try and invent some crazy torch scheme just to help yourself make sense of the picture?

Back