The Voron kit build thread

The link that you provided has the STEP files, but I do not see the STL files. What am I missing?

Under "Assets".

The "source code" .zip file

Untitled.jpg

Download and unzip it,

then its in the .stl folder

1668181564999.png

Interesting... I did that but it automatically unzipped to STEP files. I may have an association set incorrectly. I am not home at the moment but I will take a look at it as soon as I get home.

Just an uninformed question. but can you create stl files from STEP?

Just an uninformed question. but can you create stl files from STEP?

Yes. Any good CAD program can import .step files. Then you can work on it, modify it, and export it as a step file.

but, when you have a hundred parts to print, it's a pain in the butt. It has a few steps to each one.

Of course, since these are custom built printers, we will be modifying at least a few of these files anyway to our specific hardware. But for the majority of these parts, it would be a big time saver to just import the .stl directly into the 3d print slicer.

I wonder if i can drag/drop .stl files into the forum. Test.

Thats a Voron fan grill, if someone can try opening it in a slicer.

Attachments

• [a]_fan_grill_a_x2.stl
    297.2 KB · Views: 72
Here is a set of side skirts and a fan support/skirt. It needs a side skirt set and a fan support on each side.

After wasting a few hours on failed prints, im figuring out that these things dont have much surface contact with the bed and tend to lift. adding a raft has solved that issue.

Definitely use a raft when printing these low contact area parts.

Here is the print preview, with a raft under the part.

1668193684651.png

Edited to include the front skirt set, rear left and right skirts with power plug and switch holes, and the rear center skirt.

Attachments

• side skirt set.stl
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • side_fan_support_x2.stl
    603.7 KB · Views: 72
  • front_skirt_b_300.stl
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • Read SideSkirts.stl
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • rear_center_skirt_300.stl
    411.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I got the files to show up @Ken226

A quick question, just to clarify. Trying to educate myself.

My Voron kit comes with the Octopus v1.1 board and a display. Is the Octopus v1.1 capable of running Marlin or Klipper, and running the 3d printer to print directly from a USB drive or SD card without the need for a Raspberry Pi/Orange P, etc?

I have an Orange PI on the way, but should I be unable to get it to work, will I stil be able to print direct from USB/SD cards that are plugged into the Octopus v1.1?

I'm fairly competent with mechanical things and PC hardware, but I have zero experience with Linux based single board computers.

@Ken226 My understanding is "yes," Ken. You can print via USB through the Octopus board. The reason that I say "yes" is that if you are printing from your computer that you are doing other tasks on, the print may fail if computer decides that there is something more important, like downloading an update for an installed program or any of the other myriad of tasks that go on behind the scenes.
Having a dedicated SBC like an Orange Pi or RPi eliminates that possible fail point.

I hope that I got that correct. Like you, I am weak in the electronics/software side of this build. It appears that @AlanB has the most strength among us in that department.

EDIT: If you look at the wiring diagram on Big Tree Tech's website, you will note that there is no SD card slot. There is a USB port, but to utilize an SD card you would need that RPi, Orange Pi or a dedicated computer to utilize an SD card.

EDIT #2: I have full confidence that we can get this to run on the Orange Pi (well, maybe not FULL, but 99.5% confidence :distress:

Last edited:
Back