The Voron kit build thread

@Ken226 My understanding is "yes," Ken. You can print via USB through the Octopus board. The reason that I say "yes" is that if you are printing from your computer that you are doing other tasks on, the print may fail if computer decides that there is something more important, like downloading an update for an installed program or any of the other myriad of tasks that go on behind the scenes.
Having a dedicated SBC like an Orange Pi or RPi eliminates that possible fail point.

I hope that I got that correct. Like you, I am weak in the electronics/software side of this build. It appears that @AlanB has the most strength among us in that department.

EDIT: If you look at the wiring diagram on Big Tree Tech's website, you will note that there is no SD card slot. There is a USB port, but to utilize an SD card you would need that RPi, Orange Pi or a dedicated computer to utilize an SD card.

EDIT #2: I have full confidence that we can get this to run on the Orange Pi (well, maybe not FULL, but 99.5% confidence :distress:

I wasnt talking about running it from a PC or laptop. I was wondering if it would work like my flashforge does.

Basically, plug the SD card or USB drive containing the g code into the board, select the correct g-code file on the display and start the print.

So, Marlin or Klipper doesn't run on the Octopus board as an operating system, and allow printing?

It kinda sounds like my G0704 CNC, in that it uses a dedicated windows PC to run the Mach3 program, and Mach3 runs the stepper motors via the breakout board and smoothstepper?

Is the octopus board basically like the smoothstepper, or breakout board?

@Ken226 I think that I should probably keep my mouth shut. I thought I understood the role of the Octopus, but now that I discovered it does have a Micro SD card slot (TF card slot, actually).
I believe that your analogy to the G0704 is correct. The Octopus v1.1 has seven stepper drives, inputs for the end stops (hard or sensor), fan control, and probe, to name a few. The RPi or Orange Pi would run the firmware, such as Marlin or Klipper, the same as your Mach 3 running on your computer. Cripes, I hope that I got that right.

@Ken226 I think that I should probably keep my mouth shut. I thought I understood the role of the Octopus, but now that I discovered it does have a Micro SD card slot (TF card slot, actually).
I believe that your analogy to the G0704 is correct. The Octopus v1.1 has seven stepper drives, inputs for the end stops (hard or sensor), fan control, and probe, to name a few. The RPi or Orange Pi would run the firmware, such as Marlin or Klipper, the same as your Mach 3 running on your computer. Cripes, I hope that I got that right.

What's confusing me is that the Octopus is mentioned as working something like the SKR boards used in Ender 3d printers.

A friend of mine has an Ender3, and it works like my Flashforge. Just plugs in the SD card, turns the knob to select the right file, and starts printing. There's nothing like a Raspberry Pi, or laptop anywhere near the setup.

The PC is just used for slicing, and saving the g-code file onto the SD card.

Maybe @AlanB can drop in and educate me.

Also, the Q&A on Amazon gives me the impression it can run without a separate computer.

If Marlin or Reprap is installed on it.

With Klipper,you need a separate computer like Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, PC, etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111-184006.png
    Screenshot_20221111-184006.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 62
I'm seeing reviews that give it a thumbs up running Marlin directly, with no Raspberry Pi.

If so, I'll be able to use it like that untill I gain some experience/competence with the Orange Pi/Klipper combo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111-185443.png
    Screenshot_20221111-185443.png
    446.6 KB · Views: 63
I'm seeing reviews that give it a thumbs up running Marlin directly, with no Raspberry Pi.
That appears true. If you want to run Klipper though, an SBC would be needed.

Klipper and Marlin operate differently.

Marlin resides on the controller and reads the gcode from a storage device or serial port or USB serial. It converts the gcode into motion commands. It runs directly on the controller board, such as the Octopus. Configurations are changed by adjusting the configuration in the source code, recompiling Marlin and reloading the program memory on the controller. There is no requirement for a high level processor such as Raspberry Pi. This is the setup that most all 3D printers use. Adding a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint for high level controls, remote access, etc is optional.

Klipper splits the job into separate processors - the gcode interpretation and motion planning is done in one processor (such as a Raspberry Pi), and the actual real time low level motion controls are done by a controller board or boards (such as the Octopus). The configurations are done with text files on the high level processor (such as Raspberry Pi). The Pi (or other high level processor) is not optional.

Last edited:
Klipper and Marlin operate differently.

Marlin resides on the controller and reads the gcode from a storage device or serial port or USB serial. It converts the gcode into motion commands. It runs directly on the controller board, such as the Octopus. Configurations are changed by adjusting the configuration in the source code, recompiling Marlin and reloading the program memory on the controller. There is no requirement for a high level processor such as Raspberry Pi. This is the setup that most all 3D printers use. Adding a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint for high level controls, remote access, etc is optional.

Klipper splits the gcode interpretation and motion planning into separate processors - one processor (such as a Raspberry Pi), and the actual low level motion controls are done by the controller board or boards (such as the Octopus). The configurations are done with text files on the high level processor (such as Raspberry Pi). The Pi (or other high level processor) is not optional.

Thank you for the explanation, that clears things up.

I'm going to try to use Klipper via the Orange Pi. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced Raspberry Pi in the meantime, and Keep Marlin in mind as plan-c.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the explanation, that clears things up.

I'm going to try to use Klipper via the Orange Pi. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced Raspberry Pi in the meantime, and Keep Marlin in mind as plan-c.

Thanks again.

Excellent plan.

I see that Adafruit had some Pi4 2GB boards this week at regular prices. Perfect for Klipper.

The Voron discord has many folks who are experienced with Klipper and the Octopus board and can help get things configured.

Back