TIG torch water cooler on the cheap??

Wow, not trying to talk you into it...different subject, but why a 220 chiller? Just b/c your rig is 220, that doesn't mean you need to run a 220v chiller does it?

I just run water through the torch from the hose bib and move the discharge hose once in awhile to water the shrubs around the house.
This is the same thing I do. For the amount of high current tig that I do. Any other set-up would be a waste of time and money.

I have an old Teledyne cooler, that’s about 3 to 4 times the size of the current welder...

I'm in the bucket camp. If you want a cooler on the cheap it don't get much cheaper than that. I run a small submersible pump in a 7 gallon plastic tote. I like the tote because it's clear, has a lid and fits perfectly on the bottom shelf of my welder stand.

I tried adding some antifreeze to keep bacteria/algae from forming but it still did eventually. When I flushed it out I used tap water and a splash of bleach. It's been fine for about two years now. The only down side is that I have to remember to plug in the pump before welding and unplug when finished. One time I forgot and it ran all night, it's so quiet I didn't even notice.

When I first started building a cooler I tried to run the water through a radiator I harvested from an old air conditioner. The pump couldn't push the water through the dozens of feet of tubing so I abandoned the idea. You'd have to do a crap load of high amp welding to heat up 7 gallons of water to the point that it's no longer effective at heat transfer.

I have a 45 XP, and a coolmate 3.... :cautious: :)

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered the coolmate 300 220v. I wanted to go with the 220, since I already have welder hooked up to 220, I can just plug cooler right into back of welder and they both turn on and off at same time.

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered the coolmate 300 220v. I wanted to go with the 220, since I already have welder hooked up to 220, I can just plug cooler right into back of welder and they both turn on and off at same time.
Csxal,
That’s the real deal. Cooling capacity one liter per minute with a three gallon tank right?
On Miller’s site, it’s the only one with the 220 option.
Well done sir. I’m jealous.

I just realized, I started this thread Back in March.
I’m asking if anyone has experience with the ubiquitous blue EBay $250 Tig water coolers??
Did you buy one?
How is it working for you?

A water cooler not a sophisticated system. The only reason to pay a premium is for parts support and reliability. That said, I have a Miller white face radiator that is older than dirt and still going strong.

Csxal,
That’s the real deal. Cooling capacity one liter per minute with a three gallon tank right?
On Miller’s site, it’s the only one with the 220 option.
Well done sir. I’m jealous.

I just realized, I started this thread Back in March.
I’m asking if anyone has experience with the ubiquitous blue EBay $250 Tig water coolers??
Did you buy one?
How is it working for you?

2 gallon tank

Back