Time is running out (California folk)

FTR, I didn't buy battery powered landscaping tools or any other battery powered devices because of any "Green initiative". I bought them purely for ease of use, low operating cost, low maintenance and they are completely effective for my needs. If they wind up also being better for the environment that's great if not, I doubt they are any worse than petroleum powered tools. I am considering an EV car for the same reasons, the only green I'm concerned with in this decision is $$. I think the thought that "people who buy electric vehicles are motivated mostly by environmental concerns" is largely false.

Intent? I don't need no stinkin' "intent".
I need people who can think past what they want. I need people who will ask, "And then what?". The corporations got around the rule. DUH!! OF COURSE THEY DID!! That was an obvious step to take. You get no points for good intentions if you are too corrupt to see past your nose.
Which brings us back to the OP. California bans gas lawn mowers. Will this mean people will stop buying lawn mowers. OF COURSE NOT!! People will go across state lines.
Do you know what WILL make people stop buying gas mowers? Electric mowers that can hold out for the entire job of mowing *their* lawn. For a homeowner, an electric is a no brainer over a gas mower if there is enough battery.
Silly bureaucrats need to back up and let the market work.
It may eventually happen. The beginning of any new technology is made with baby steps until there's a breakthrough. The companies have to see it as financially viable. There has to be a need first.

Cell phones were like that.
Hell, everything is like that. The automobile was like that. Many said it would never last. There was no infrastructure (gas stations) , service stations.

Everything takes time. And if it proves to be a bad financial choice for the companies, they won't adopt it.

You want everything right now. It takes time for new tech to make it. Look back at every new tech...

:grin: I guess this is still legal ? Don't get any ideas fin , it IS a Cub !
Wow, that looked like a lot of fun!
With proper lighting, signaling and a slow moving vehicle sign it just might be. It would be a blast to drive to work on a nice day.
I wonder if you with added weight on the rear axle, then how well would an attached snow plow work?

FTR, I didn't buy battery powered landscaping tools or any other battery powered devices because of any "Green initiative". I bought them purely for ease of use, low operating cost, low maintenance and they are completely effective for my needs. If they wind up also being better for the environment that's great if not, I doubt they are any worse than petroleum powered tools. I am considering an EV car for the same reasons, the only green I'm concerned with in this decision is $$. I think the thought that "people who buy electric vehicles are motivated mostly by environmental concerns" is largely false.
I would love it if somebody put a small electric truck on the market. 30-50 mile range. They could even leave out the AC. Just big enough of a bed to carry a sheet of plywood. Rails for the side of the bed would be just fine. It would be my goto vehicle for the errands I run. But, I work from home. My car can sit for days on end without me getting in it.

My issue with the electric zero turn mowers is that they claim "up to an acre per charge"...

I like that... "up to..."

What that means is "if all conditions are perfect..."

So... if:

A. You mow at 1/3 throttle...

B. Your yard is completely flat...

C. You are only trimming 1/4 inch off the grass...

D. You have no thick grass...

E. You weigh less than 55 pounds 7 ounces...

F. You can mow your entire yard while keeping a tailwind...

G. You have a goat pushing and a sled dog pulling...

...you can easily get an acre per charge! What's not to like?

However, if you don't meet all of the above conditions, you very likely won't get anywhere near that acre... hence why I'm figuring it would take me 5 days to mow my two acre yard.

-Bear

That's insane :grin: . How does that not roll over from torque? How does it not lift the wheels off the ground... and how does he control that, it's still a short wheel base for that much power.

And finally, how does he cool that...

"Yes, Your Honor, I WAS doing 120 in a 35... but, to be honest, I didn't realize that speed limits applied to lawn mowers..."

-Bear

Back