Too big of a lathe?

I have a 12" x 35" lathe but had a job last week for which I could have used that 16" machine. Just barely was able to handle it with my machine. If you have space for it that is a size just about every machinist would love to have. You may find that you'll also want to add a small machine to this at some future date. But, if this turns out to be a good machine at a good price, I'd buy it, especially if it is not just a bare machine with no tooling.

Since you already know the price, the condition, tooling attachments and your own set up (space, power and moving) will determine whether it is a good deal or not. I would not be too concerned about this machine being inherently more dangerous for a beginner. Any lathe can do a person some very serious damage. A 12" swing, 1 HP, belt drive machine can cause sever injury. That 16" 7.5 HP gear jammer is to be treated with respect - like every other shop tool. The Summit machine probably has a foot brake (IMO a desirable, but not critical safety feature), while many of the smaller machines do not.

It is true that larger machines have more expensive accessories, hence the reason that how well dressed it is become important in the decision. The speed range noted above is also a good point. It appears that machine is about 25-1800 rpm. Of course there are applications where a higher speed is desirable. I'm generally working fairly small components, I rarely go over 1000 rpm on my 15" machine or 1250 rpm on my 11" machine (they are capable of 2000 and 2500 respectively). However, I find the low speed much more useful - my 15" only goes down to 45 rpm and a lower speed would be nice (the 11" machine will go down to 30 rpm, which is great).

Let us know how you make out. David

I'm a retired shop owner, now hobbyist. That's a fairly large lathe even by the standards of my old shop. We did have larger, but it only saw use when absolutely necessary. My machinists (and I) would always choose the smallest lathe that could do the job. They are just easier to use, the tooling is lighter and the higher spindle height makes for less discomfort while running. I now have a South Bend Heavy 10L, it's just about perfect for the kind of hobby/repair work that I do. I would like to have a larger lathe with a little more capacity (14 or 15 in.) and hp, but the SB would still see 90% of the work.

Since this will be your first lathe, I'd hold out for something smaller. Your back and budget will both thank you.

I'd imagine I am the least experienced person in this thread so take this for what it's worth. When trying to decide what to get when I wanted to move up in size from my mini lathe I was in a terrible internal debate. I took a trip to Grizzly in Springfield, Mo to just get a feel for size as I've never even been around a larger lathe. After that trip I felt like the best course of action for me was to buy a used 10x22 that was available in my area. I'm super happy with it but will likely move up in size at some point. I simply didn't feel comfortable with a bigger lathe with my lack of skill/experience. In my case the used 10x22 was a good enough deal that I can probably sell it and still recoup most of the cost. Personally, I could not imagine a 6000 lb. 16x60 as my first lathe.

I think it depends on the intended use. I like Colchesters I had a 15" and sold it and bought a 13", the 13 is more suited to the tasks I do. The bigger lathes are great if you are working on bigger stuff but they can be cumbersome when working on small dia work. If you are comfortable with that big of a lathe and it meets your needs then go for it

Thank you everyone for the input. Im really thinking the lathe is going to be too big. I had settled on a Grizzly/PM machine previously. Originally was going 10x22 arena but I think the 12x36 is probably the best bet for me. It will be new, delivered to my house and more appropriately sized for my setup. I honestly dont know what all I'll end up making but I think it will be big enough. I also wont have to worry about a rotary phase converter that big (have a DIY 5hp one already).

Thanks again for the input.

Thank you everyone for the input. Im really thinking the lathe is going to be too big. I had settled on a Grizzly/PM machine previously. Originally was going 10x22 arena but I think the 12x36 is probably the best bet for me. It will be new, delivered to my house and more appropriately sized for my setup. I honestly dont know what all I'll end up making but I think it will be big enough. I also wont have to worry about a rotary phase converter that big (have a DIY 5hp one already).

As you get better abd better with your lathe, you will use it more than you ever imagined. Just about everything ever manufactured is based on round things.

Hey, that's GREAT NEWS! Now I can go buy that big, monster lathe!!!

:)

No, sorry. Just teasing you. You're going to love your 12 x 36. I have one and I don't think I'll ever need a larger lathe. But, my first lathe was 10 x 22 and my second lathe was 12.5 x 20 so this 12 x 36 feels kinda huge. Well, long anyway...

My unsolicited opinion is that you have made a good decision and that you'll be happy with it. I look forward to hearing about how you progress with your new machine.

Mind telling us what they wanted for the monster lathe? I would love the 4" hole, but not all the weight.

With all said above, I would like to add a few things when I consider big lathe.
For beginner lathe, don't buy into that one, since I very quickly grew out of that, and it's a waste of time and money, unless it's really cheap.
For a big lathe, number one rule is can I get it into its place, from where it's bought to where it's going to be sitting.
Next, will I have room for it? Then cost of tooling, etc.
Is it a high quality used lathe with lots of tools?

If I have a huge garage, big trailer and equipment to move it up and down, and the lathe is so cheap because it's so big no one want wants it, I would give it a shot (if it's still a good lathe).

That said, a lathe at 16x60 w/ 4" is not that big. Mine is 15" swing. This is just a tad bigger. No big deal here. However, it's much longer. So I think it's down to do you have room for it, and can you take it home safely.

Back