Too big of a lathe?

It would be very easy to buy that machine and then spend more than $2500.00 getting up and running. A few repair
parts and some tooling is all it would take.

It is difficult to find the right machine sometimes. Perhaps expanding your search to a larger geographic area would help.
It might involve some driving, but at least you'd have more to look at. Something will turn up.
And, size wise, the sweet spot for a lot of hobby machinists is 11 to 13" lathes.

You should be able to find a good used machine in that price range that will require a minimum investment of a static phase converter or VFD to be up and running. I purchased a Sheldon MW-56-P a few years ago for a similar price. The best part was the machine had been rebuilt including new headstock bearings and grinding the bed, cross slide and carriage. It came with 3 chucks, a QCTP, steady rest follow rest, a couple drill chucks , a 5c collet system, a couple live centers and other tooling.

Mine is a 13" x 56" machine like the one in this link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheldon-La...269824?hash=item4844399580:g:DU8AAMXQQJBQ6bUO

I'm not sure if the machine in the link has had any reconditioning other than a cleanup and fresh coat of paint. It's been for sale for several months

The only thing I had to do to mine to get it running was install a static phase converter. The converter cost $65.00 and took less than half an hour to install. I went the converter route as opposed to the VFD to be able to use all the original controls. This lathe is a bit unique in that it uses a 110 volt gear motor and variable speed drive to change spindle speeds rather than a gearbox.

The machines are out there. You just have to be patient and not jump at the first piece of junk you come across. It took me over 2 years to find a good Bridgeport mill at the right price. I passed on several other machines before finding one that was being retired from a local high school. It was originally purchased in 1972 and ran in the shop for about 15 years. It got moved into storage when CNC machines came along. I was able to purchase it in 2000 when the high school decided to partner with the local technical college rather than have their own shop.

Expanding your search area could help. I search in about a 200 mile radius for machinery. I have found machines in Waupaca WI, Oshkosh WI, Milwaukee WI, Chicago ILL, and several places in between. I search Craigslist, the local high schools, technical colleges, universities, and even local shops. Several of my machines have come from local shops when they were either upgrading, or downsizing. They have all been in excellent condition and at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
It would be very easy to buy that machine and then spend more than $2500.00 getting up and running. A few repair
parts and some tooling is all it would take...

The very same could be said for any size machine, if you unwisely bought one in either extremely poor condition or without any tooling or accessories.

From reading both pros and cons of buying this, I can summarize the following:

1. Check the machine make sure it's good. Check the way, spindle, screws, nuts, gears, oil, noise, plays, run out. This is the same as any machine, regardless of size, even with new inexpensive machine from the far east.

2. Can you get it home and keep it. This is just the same as any machine, even sizes.

3. The size of this machine is not that big. In fact, if there is room, it's about perfect size. For lathe, big machine gives very stable cut. But the experts' opinions here are better than mine.

4. The speed should not be a concern if you use VFD.

5. The power draw is not an issue for 200 amps at home, unless you happen to cook (electric, dry cloth and what not at a same time). Furthermore, as some one as pointed out, you can use a smaller converter, and then later upgrade the converter. But, you can use a large converter, but just don't use the machine to cut anything too big. A 7.5 HP doesn't use 7.5 HP draw. It's only at max. I have 20 HP converter at home. Starts no problem on 60 amp 240 volt. Once the rotary converter starts, the lathe can run. Lathe even with gears and all that, draws much less power than a compressor pump without unloader. On the concern you can't use the max capacity of the machine. Well, if you buy a smaller machine, you can't use pass its capacity anyway. So I say this is a non-issue.

6. If beginner is an issue, then it's the beginner issue, not the lathe. Meaning you may need to learn it. Or even using this lathe to learn. Starts with small projects. Go very slow without any cut. Practice dry run many times. Etc. For a 3 HP lathe, doing something wrong would be very bad anyway.

7. If you worry about tooling cost, check if they have tool going along with it. There is a good chance it does come with some chucks, etc.
There are chinese made tools that are very affordable anyway.

That said, much respects to all the "cons" replies and their authors.

IMHO the best place to look for a lightly used lathe is estate sales. These lathes are typically just used as a hobby often by a retired machinist. The family just wants to get rid of his junk. And it will probably come with more tooling and accessories than you will know what to do with it all. I had been searching for over a year before I found my lathe. A craftsman 12x36. It came with every accessory offered by craftsman except for a taper attachment. And a host of tooling and 5 chucks. Paid $1200. It had been bought new by a local farmer who used it to repair and restore some kind of one cylinder pump engine as a hobby. The lathe was dirty and covered with oil soaked grime from having sat and not been used for several years. The prior owner had been meticulous in keeping the lathe well cared for. I did not find a single chip anywhere when I cleaned up the oily grime.
So don't be in a rush. Expand your search area. You will find what you need at a reasonable price.

The very same could be said for any size machine, if you unwisely bought one in either extremely poor condition or without any tooling or accessories.

You're right, but all things being equal, a bigger lathe will cost more to put right since the cost of tools and parts will
be higher.

Back