Two Timer Build

I apologize, I buried a joke in there with the VW water pump thing.

I made and pressed water jacket sleeves into the head of a 1.6L engine for one of my vehicles a week or two back. The water passages in the head were only 6mm in diameter, and that's a commuter-duty gasoline engine. It might not take much surface area to take heat away from the head, so long as flow is enough. Even if you can only take heat away from the edges, it might be enough to draw heat away from the combustion chambers. It will be a lot of drilling and plugging, though.

I was totally confused! I thought you were going to bolt the entire cylinder onto that block. Now I see the cylinder is incorporated into the block and you're only bolting on the heads. Great work so far.
Robert

I decided I had better get things hooked together and aligned up before I go much further.

I found some 0.400 thick aluminum plate up against the wall that should work nicely.
I cut out the side rails and the main bearing caps.
IMG_0131.JPG

Drilled and taped the holes for the bearing caps.
IMG_0134.JPG

With both plates aligned and clamped in the vise I drilled the bearing hole out to 1" diameter. That's my biggest drill bit.
Then moved to the boring head to finish to size.
IMG_0138.JPG

I bolted in the crankshaft and set the cylinder on the rails to see how it looks.
IMG_0141.JPG
I just noticed that there is something very wrong with the above picture.
Can you spot my mistake?

Thanks for looking
Ray

Now I am less and more confused.
R

Jeff
Yes the head is positioned wrong so I went back out and drilled and taped the holes so that I could attach it to the side rails.
IMG_0143.JPG

Some more views
IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

This should make it less confusing and now I can work on the connecting rod length and piston.

This is also the time I usually give my models some color. I know they may get scratched and maybe I will have to repaint them later but it makes me be more careful.

You will have to wait until next time to find out what color it is.

Thanks for looking
Ray

So here it is in "Garden Green".
What do you think?
It should look nice with some brass rocker arms and other bits.
Some polished aluminum and maybe some black flywheels.
IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

I also roughed out the connecting rods but I ran out of steam after that for today.
IMG_0153.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

You John Deere people....
R

Actually Robert I had not thought of that but I should have as the color is close to a John Deere. Growing up we had Case and Massey Harris tractors. I now have an Allis Chalmers WD40 that I mow the lawn with.

Dabbler my boiler no longer passes inspection but it still can get up some steam.

Ray

Back