Two Timer Build

Very nice!

A PC water cooling setup should be quite adequate for that. Miniature radiators, pumps, pipes, connectors readily available, mass produced and inexpensive.

Reactions: rwm
Lo-Fi
Yes I have been looking at them but maybe a vintage water cooling tower instead. Also thinking of making my own centrifugal belt driven water pump.

Ray

Life has got in the way so not much progress recently.
I did get the rod journal bushings made and sized for the crankshaft.
I cut and installed a base plate for the engine.
Polished up the plate and the rods some.
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG

Pistons are next.

Thanks for looking
Ray

This was piston day and I started off turning some aluminum down to size times two.
The pistons are 1.250 long.
IMG_0159.JPG

Sorry I was so preoccupied at getting all the measurements just right that I forgot to take any pictures of the next operations but here are the results.
I milled a 0.312 slot 1" down into piston face and widened it out for clearance of the rod end.
I also made two wrist pin bushings and installed in the rods.
IMG_0163.JPG

I was trying to hit a piston TDC height of 0.225 below the cylinder head surface. According to my calculations that would place the wrist pin 0.500 from the end of the piston.
IMG_0167.JPG

The piston heights turned out 0.227 and 0.233 and that gentlemen is just fine with me. The compression ratio will be very close to 7 to 1 right at my target.

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

I will be adding the o-ring grooves at a later date as I find it easier to work the rest of the engine with out the drag of the rings just now.

Everything turns smoothly and fits nicely so all my worrying was for nothing.

Thanks for looking

Ray

Today is cylinder head day so I started with a piece of aluminum and cut a chunk out on the band saw.
IMG_0176.JPG

Over to the mill to square it up, surface it, and bring it to the correct size.
IMG_0179.JPG

Next was to spot all the holes and mill recesses for the head bolts, valve guides, and spark plugs.

IMG_0182.JPG

The cooling fins are cut to 0.150 deep and now the head is ready for the holes to be drilled all the way through but not today.IMG_0184.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I drilled the holes for the head bolts and the valve guides and what a great feeling it is when they all line up.
Couple of pictures.
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG

I was on a roll so started on the valve guide cages.
IMG_0193.JPG

Four made with no mistakes.
IMG_0194.JPG

I then pressed them into the head with a drop of Loctite for good measure.
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG

Thanks for looking and thanks for the Likes.
It lets me know if this build is appreciated.

Ray

Thank you Firstram me too.

Time to make some valves. I made seven valves today but not to have some extras as I screwed up the first three. The first one the stem was too short so I made sure that that would not happen again but I may have gone overboard with the length. At least it will make easier to grab on to when lapping The next two I just wasn't paying enough attention and made the stems diameter too small. They probably would have worked but they were too loose in the valve guides and I wouldn't be happy.

I started with a 3ft piece of 5/16" drill rod and used over half of it.
IMG_0204.JPG

Four valves extra long shank.
IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

I also drilled and threaded the intake and exhaust ports 5/16".
The holes even lined up with the valve cages as they should.
IMG_0207.JPG

Thanks for looking

Ray

Back