[4]

Winner Ultra-Small Boring Head

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
:shotgun: :ups:

Old Iron

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Looking good Billy I mite try to build one my self. I've been following along but it is hard to type with my 14 year old dog in my lap.

She only wants to be with me and she had sun downers, So around5 here its getting dark and she starts.

Only free time I get is in the morning cause she sleeps late. I've had her since she was 4 weeks old so you know she is like one of my kids.

I'll be looking for the finish on this project.

Paul

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Go for it Paul. The original was made from 12L14. The nut, keeper and gib were the only Brass parts. Machining 12L is relatively easy. Mine is all Brass because it would have been off to the scrap yard soon. The only caution is in using the small endmills. It really is a fun project and a little challenge, but then challenge is what we live for.

"Billy G"

I hear ya about the clinging pooch. They are like little kids at time.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Someone has asked how the shoulder was cut in the 6-40 SHCS. Screw dia. at the shoulder is .133. The shoulder must be cut to .070-.080 at that place to fit the Keeper. I will make a few more today and photo document the process. I have to wait till tomorrow to proceed on the rest anyway.

"Billy G" :thinking:

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This will take a little time as there are 9 pictures start to finish. OK, you do not want to damage the 6-40 threads so you cannot chuck the SHCS in the lathe. You need a way to hold both ends. In this picture are the tools I feel are necessary. The large disc holds the head and the arbor is threaded 6-40 to hold the threads.

SCHS 001 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
How are they used -- The thread arbor goes in the lathe chuck and the disc goes into the Tailstock drill chuck. It has a small spiggot on the back side to catch.

SCHS 003 (750 x 563).jpg SCHS 002 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
You see how they go into the lathe, let's me show you how the SHCS goes in. You can make the thread holding arbor any length you wish to keep you away from the moving chuck. You will see what I mean soon. It is not dangerous if you use Common Sense and respect your tools and your limitations. I have used thei method for many years and it has proven to he safe.

The objective here is to capture the threads and to capture the head and while allowing the head move freely.

It will really help if you are a lefty, I am not. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

SCHS 004 (750 x 563).jpg SCHS 005 (750 x 563).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The TOOL. There are two ways to cut the shoulder. #1 use a 1/16 cut-off tool and turn the shoulder. That is the easy way. Myself, I can have the shoulder cut before you can mount the cut-off tool using a file. You are not removing a lot of material, only .030. If I were removing a lot of material I would surely use the cut-off method.

A few words of caution here. If you are new at machining please respect what can happen here. You are filing against the rotation of the chuck. You need not use much pressure on the file. Do not stand in line with the file. If you do and that file catches it will come back at you. If you have never done this before my advice to you is to use the cut-off method till you gain a little more experiance. If you try the filing method run your lathe SLOW. Be your own judge here.

OK -- Here is how I do it and the end result. This one is a little rough because I was in a hurry. Fast is not the way to do this.

SCHS 007 (750 x 563).jpg SCHS 008 (750 x 563).jpg SCHS 009 (750 x 563).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The cutters will arrive today. They are on the truck for delivery.

THE MATH

I will leave you with these formulas for measuring Dovetails with pins. I will be back later to explain them to those who do not know them. Dovetails are not a mystery although they look like the should be.

math (800 x 600).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'll have you know that is a portrait of my Mother-In-Law. I can say that cause I don't have one. :lmao:

"Billy G" :))

Kevinb71

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice work Bill!
Waiting for the conclusion!!

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Billy,
You going to tell everybody why you used a 40 TPI screw ?
Spoiler Alert :*****Same TPI as micrometer*****
Found this in the bottom of tool box today.
shop tools 005.jpgshop tools 004.jpg
Not as good looking as yours but it will get the job done.
Keep up the good work. A little learning never hurts.
**********Just Saying*************Gator*************:eek:uch:

shop tools 004.jpg shop tools 005.jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It's here. The cutters are made in Israel. Flycutters in China and the Arbor in Japan. Tools made in Israel are usually top knotch.

Time to go shovel snow. I probably will get to this tomorrow.

ord (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
40 TPI gives you .025 per revolution of the adjustment screw.. Was this a test? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle::whistle:

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nah no test just a observation on my part. Just though I would share your knowledge with the rest of the group.
Is that cupcake I smell on your breath ?:rofl::rofl:
Have fun with the snow it's in the 70's here.
*********Just Saying************Gator********:eek:uch:

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. Things are not always what they seem to be. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I got something done. The C/Bored 4-40 SHCS that hold the gibb in are done. That's as far as I want to go today.

"Billy G" "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

cbs (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
There are times when even a seasond machinist fouls up. This is one of those times. Last noght after doing the c/bores I left the spindle lock loose. You guessed it I forgot to look this morning and left it loose cutting dovetails. Pressure on the top of the tool while cutting forced the quill to move downward. This cut into the flange and goodbye part.

No biggie I guess I just started a new one, this time with the fancy radii. Just the tool holes and dovetail to go.

"Billy G" :dunno:

npt (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Picture #1 is the screw-up. The one on the left has the dovetail started but notice the flange. It is almost gone. Dovetail cutters cut on all edges.

Picture #2 is the catch up. We are ready to dovetail again. 2 hours lost and a lesson learned one more time. Always check the machine before you start. It will save you time. money and embarassment. Not necessarilly in that order. :lmao:

npt 001 (750 x 563).jpg npt 002 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Male dovetail done. Now to cut the female. The MT2 X 1/2-20 arbor fits perfect in the base.

1tg (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
OOOOOOOO-- Look what I got. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

1tg 001 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Bad start today turns into a great finish, Going to the movies with the little woman. See ys later.

1tg 002 (750 x 563).jpg

Kevinb71

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Really nice Bill. The rest of us just need to figure out the math for those dovetails. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Not to worry on the math. I am going to start a how to thread on Dovetails and how and why they are needed. It will be indepth. I just have to get all the info in one place. I will take all the mystery out.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Just foolin around, it works just fine. Anybody recognize that logo? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

conck (750 x 563).jpg

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
Well, it is one of the symbols on the fourth album by Led Zeppelin and it is on my matching t-shirt.
Pierre

T-storms and 60 degrees right now but lake effect snow by Thursday morning! Wild winter this year.:nuts:

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I love how the boring head came out. It looks even better with the fancy "radius" shoulder. :thumbzup:

-Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]