Very Hard Decisions to make about my Dad

Prayers for you and yours. Just do what you know is right. We know it's tough, but you are obviously capable.

You and your family are in our thoughts. I had to go trough similar with my mother in law and that was hard enough. Having to do it for my dad will be .. well you know. Luckily you will be there to help them.

Jeff

Charley I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Let me know if you need anything done at home while your gone.
Phil

Charley I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Let me know if you need anything done at home while your gone.
Phil

Thanks Phil, I'll probably be here another week or so.

My mom had the sheriff dept. take him to the hospital this morning & made arrangements for him to go into a place for a while that has a good Dementia/Alzheimer facility that only houses 76 people so it's small enough to give him great care. It is only a few miles away. I'll finish this update later tonight as I have a lot of work to do right now.

Thanks everybody, Charley

Yes, out prayers go out for you. One of the really hard things you are dealing with is this. Roles have changed. You are now the parent, they are the children. Just like our kids , when they said I don't love you, temper tandrums, on and on. Oh well, this is what kids do sometimes. We forgive them and move on. Things always passed. One thing I want you to keep in mind. Our kids grew out of it. Our parent children won't. They just keep going backwards. You must as a caregiver protect and guard yourself. Do not allow your grief, and pain to take you down. It is what it is. Make your decisions based on this. I will do everything within my power to maintain and give them quality of life but not at the expense of my life or marriage. Decisions not based on feelings, but on What is best for them. From the brain. Weather they want it or not.

Charlie,

EDIT: Also, old people rarely run a fever when they have an infection but rather, it effects their temperament. Make sure the doc does a blood workup. Bladder infections are most common (usually women but also men if they don't drink a lot of fluids) and every time my Mother-in-law got weird, they would find a bladder infection and she's be fine after a couple days of antibiotics.

EDIT Again: Older folks dehydrate easily because they stop drinking as much fluids because it's hard for them to visit the bathroom. Low order dehydration causes temperament changes...

Ray

These two points are so true in my Moms case.
Pierre

You might want to think about removing his firearms, so that someone else doesn't.

You might want to think about removing his firearms, so that someone else doesn't.

That was done right after that incident, there was a derringer missing for sometime but was found yesterday where my mom hid it and forgot where. My mom still has a 22 cal "Hog Leg" pistol.

I started the process of sorting what will be sold and what will be kept by me or my brother. It was hard not to break down & cry at times but other time I couldn't help but grin at my dad's creativity in storage, fixtures, tooling, and his amazing carvings. My dad was an incurable pack rat/hoarder, there are things I look at and just shake my head, I went to the recycling center with him the day before he was put in the assisted living home and he brought back a junky table that I returned this morning. I have been emptying cabinets for 3 days now and not even close to being done. If they lived closer I would keep almost everything cause my dad's shop is cool. I'll post some pictures later tonight of some of what he has redneck engineered.

Thanks for all of your moral support
Charley

It sounds like you guys have a plan, that's good. I'd love to see some pictures.:))

Keep what inspires you, keep what helps you. If you feel bad getting rid of something don't be shy to just take LOTS of pictures of it. Take LOTS of pictures of the process of taking it all apart.

Then you keep the memories of the way he had it, and don't have to keep the objects themselves. Great way to separate the things we do need, and keep from having our own hoarding status keep us from functioning.

It's much easier to get rid of things if you know you'll remember it well with pics- even bad ones. Go crazy.

Bernie

Back