Vises again

Sweet little sine bar project . I made 50 or so of these in my apprenticeship back in **78 or 79 . This is number 19 and has lasted 44 years ? Mill work was performed on a Deckel Jigbore and grinding was done on the B&S 618 Micromaster sitting in my garage . Simple to make , accurate enough for NASA , no blocks needed . NO PATENT PENDING ! :big grin: Makes quick work of setting angles on your mill vise or lathe compound . :) Off to bed , been up for a doc appointment scheduled months ago and my shift changed , 2 hrs sleep and another 14 hr. night .

Attachments

• IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 129
Ahh , OK , more of a space issue . Personally I can't live without one but I have big enough mills with plenty of Z axis . I got rid of the riser block because I never needed the extra 6 " .
Another reason to keep my big mill.
There is the weight element!!

Sweet little sine bar project . I made 50 or so of these in my apprenticeship back in **78 or 79 . This is number 19 and has lasted 44 years ? Mill work was performed on a Deckel Jigbore and grinding was done on the B&S 618 Micromaster sitting in my garage . Simple to make , accurate enough for NASA , no blocks needed . NO PATENT PENDING ! :big grin: Makes quick work of setting angles on your mill vise or lathe compound . :) Off to bed , been up for a doc appointment scheduled months ago and my shift changed , 2 hrs sleep and another 14 hr. night .
That's what you need for the vise!!
I have the Micromaster but no Jigbore!!
I thought you retired? =I'm so confused.

Under new management...... :)

On the Kurt DX6, many individuals have purchased the scratch/dent and often can't even find the flaw. Free FedEx ground shipping (US only), at $540.75 worth looking at. The DX6 is also a bit more compact then the older D688 style.

Thanks for that "heads-up" and for tempting me even more! :)

I just ordered a DX6 myself, used the direct link above, $540.75 OTD Thanks MKSJ for the information, I was on the fence and about to buy the Tegara and this brought the Kurt down a bit more and made my mind for me, feels great buying American, I always do when/if I can !!!

Last edited:
You guys are killing me! :grin:
EDIT:
Definitely going after the S&D DX6. But, the decision is to get the machine here and all setup, and to also acquire a few bits and pieces still needed that will help generate some $$$ (like a set of Woodruff cutters and a nice set of chucking reamers), since I got some industrial and medical projects on the bench, that can do so. The DX6 will happen within a month or two. Worked out the S&H to Trinidad and it's like US$200.00. In retrospect, I should have bought it and sent it to Matt to ship with the machine. Ah well, soon enough!

Last edited:
The money spenders just doing what they do best :encourage: Always good quality though....

Well, I'm an old electronics fart, devoted my life to it. Wanted my own machine shop all my career, started with a fully loaded Unimat and drooled over an "EL Dorado" 3-in-one for years. Finally decided to buy it 16-years ago and was persuaded to buy a Grizzly Mini-Mill, 9x20 lathe and 4x6 bandsaw instead. Never regretted that. Well the shop has certainly grown, CNCed the mini mill, have a CNC Plasma-Jet table, Mig, Stick, Tig, hydraulic press, 3D printers, bandsaw, belt grinder, bending brake/shear/roll, you name it. 66-years old now, in good health, semi-retired, mortgage paid off, taking on only the jobs I wanna do, the kids are all fine and well educated and life's good. Hell, I bought me, my PM-935 milling machine and all the attendant goodies..... why the hell not? :) :)
...... and, we're not even talking about my electronics lab! :)

Back