Wanting to power a lead screw

HOW on earth did you you score that motor for only $28.43? That's crazy awesome scratchin-the-head-how'd-ya-do-that good!

Can't wait to see how it runs...
Bob, It that a 1 HP DC motor you have on your lathe?

Sorry to hear the trials and tribulations you are going through atm mrbreezeet1, sounds quaint I'm sure, but like they say... "this too shall pass".

Motor is: Baldor CDP3440 3/4 HP

Sorry to hear the trials and tribulations you are going through atm mrbreezeet1, sounds quaint I'm sure, but like they say... "this too shall pass".

Oh, OK, Thanks, 3/4 or 1 would have been better, but I have to try this 1/2.

OK, so you have a 3/4 HP motor. Did you still use the counter shaft correct, mine is a Logan with the double V motor pulley
and a double flat counter shaft pulley . Uses a regular V belt, you know.
Did you come up with a double V pulley for you motor, or is it just a single pulley, and about how big is the Pulley(s) (at the motor)

I am wondering too if I need to measure and adjust the output voltage coming out of my board, or is that should be pretty well taken care of by the resistor.
It is a 1/2HP resistor.

Does your controller have 110 or 220 volt input?
Thanks Bob,

Originally it came with a 2 step pulley which became slightly warped over time causing vibration. I replaced it with a good balanced cast iron pulley from Amazon... will go out and measure it in a bit. It runs nice and very smooth, still using the counter shaft pulleys for overall speed, winding down from each step with the controller so I have great torque.

Just 11o volt service out in the cave I'm afraid, with a total of 15A at that...

OK Thanks, so your using the 6" on the counter shaft?

l have a 2 step one on there now, but it's 1/2" bore, I don't want to bore it out.

DSCN0183.JPG 6.25 OD on your counter shaft, and 3" OD on you motor, looks like "about" 1/2 size at the motor, in relation to the counter shaft.
My countershaft is good, I will have to see what it measures. I know there are 2 sizes on the countershaft.

Do you still have pretty good power at the spindle at say 1/2 speed?

Did you ever put a tach on the motor, are you getting 1750 RPM, or possible a little more?

I think the voltage is what limits the RPM. I will probably measure Voltage at full power for the heck of it.
I wonder if that motor can handle a little over voltage?

Actually my old motor (and pulley) are the 1/2" shaft/bore. I hate to bore it out in case I want to/need to put my old motor back on.
But I have some 5/8 pulley's around here.

I am actually wondering if I can just but 2 single pulley's face to face to make up a double pulley?
Then I could use both of my counter shaft pulley's.
I will have to try it.

I got to get busy on this, and a lot of things, having some motivation issues right now.
Here is the switches and POT in a Radio shack project box for the KBIC-120.
Cost about $8.00.
thought that was reasonable.
I got a label maker I have not used yet, but I will make some more labels for it.
I guess they say the tape for the label maker is expensive, but if you make you labels all together and cut them apart, you won't waste as much.
I don't know, I didn't fool with it yet.
IIRC it was a $30.00 maker, but I got it on sale for around $10.00 at lowes.

Last edited:
Ya, the cold weather sure does put a dampener on your motivation huh...

Do you still have pretty good power at the spindle at say 1/2 speed?
I really do, even down to say 25%, pretty much the whole range... but remember: still using the countershaft pulleys to mechanically "gear" to a specific speed range. You use variable speed to ramp down rpms from there, whereas a "stock" motor is single speed limited by the top speed of whatever "mechanical gear/speed range" you have your belts tied to.

Did you ever put a tach on the motor, are you getting 1750 RPM, or possible a little more?
I have, used one of those portable hand held laser tachs:

Handheld Digital Laser Photo Tachometer RPM Tach Small Engine Motor Speed Gauge
http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Digital-Laser-Tachometer-Engine/dp/B009T4REQG
41ENUpIqeuL._SY300_.jpg
...don't think that is the exact one I have, but same idea.

Here is the switches and POT in a Radio shack project box for the KBIC-120.
Cost about $8.00.
thought that was reasonable.

I love those little boxes for all kinds of things too... as you mentioned earlier, the cold... got tired of being annoyed with the cold... I had/have painting I want to do & not patient enough to wait for Spring to get here, cobbled together a paint enclosure using a couple of those different size project boxes to do what needed doing:

Man, if you have a few pulleys lying around that will work for now, I'd say experiment with them & see what practical sizes might best work for you. Some times you'll find your mojo just from getting back into it and getting busy building from small successes...

Those label makers are fun to use/play with, you got a great price on it. Now, go find your mojo and get some stuff spinning... I wanna see pics of it running... :)

41ENUpIqeuL._SY300_.jpg

Back