Wanting to power a lead screw

Runout from the half nuts? Are they pretty worn? What is the leadscrew thread size? What ever threads per inch divided by 1/4 turn before slack is taken up = how much runout you have...

Darn, was hoping to see it running... :)

it's been too cold for me these days. It didn't used to bother me but it does more now.
I don't know I didn't look at them, I'll have to pull the apron when it warms up.

UPS must deliver on Sundays now, I got the motor today.
I don't know, this thing looks brand new, still have to try it.
Either the brushes are not installed or they give you extra ones, as they are in a separate pack, and look new as well.

EDIT, Added a picture.
This is supposed to be TENV but if you look at the tag, it does say TEFC. Thats better I guess?
There is a fan in it, I don't know if TENV have a fan or not.

EDIT, brushes are Extra, motor does have brushes already installed.

DSCN0183 save.JPG DSCN0181 save.JPG DSCN0178 save.JPG DSCN0183 save TEFC.JPG

Last edited:
OK, Im confused again.
Are these two pictures correct, showing how to wire a DPDT switch to reverse a DC motor?
This is what I found, and what makes sense to me,
but I have seen 2 youtube videos, that say you connect the voltage (power in) to the outside set of switch tabs, and the motor leads to the center switch tabs.

found a third one that shows the same thing.

F2XEWW5F3HY3U9G.MEDIUM.jpg switchwire.jpg DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg

Either way would work, electrically they're identical.

OK, Thanks Jim,
I can see how it works with power to the center, but
can't really see how it works with power to the ends, and motor to the center(s)
But if you say it is, then it is.
Had me going for a while there.

It completes the circuit in the same way in both cases. Draw it out on paper and you will see what I mean.

OK thanks again Jim.
Got these switches for my AC power in, coming from E bay. (SPST)
I do already have a DPDT switch from radio shack, but I saw these spst switches on e bay,
4 of them for $10.00 with shipping.
Did not seem too bad.
I ordered my power resistor(s) and 2 sets of the fuse holder kits from amazon.
Just wishing it would warm up a little, but I may start wiring the box up stairs.

Deciding whether or not to use the inhibit switch or not.
I was told as long as I dial my pot down to 0 speed before reversing, I did not really need the inhibit switch.
Also have to consider, don't want to start in reverse too fast, as the logan of course is a threaded spindle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111581065644?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$%28KGrHqMOKo4E1riCE30CBNs%28z%29Hyc%21%7E%7E_12.JPG
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Looks like a reasonable deal. Looking forward to seeing it all working.

Well, I am still living, .....LOL
Might try to bid on a inside job if they will still let me bid in it.(I think it closed yesterday, (the 19th) but sometimes they will let another application in. You are in the Wheeling tunnels. and send trucks out, or if there is a wreck, and the police call you, you send the safety man, and the tow trucks, send the salt trucks out, stuff like that.
They say, once you get on to it, it's pretty easy.

Everyone is telling me I should just stay on disability, but disability was supposed to review me in December, should have been over and done by now.
Disability is not letting me know what is going on,
But this will be more money than I am getting from disability, and in about 6 years, when I retire, it will be more money then, cause I;ll get about I think it's about $400.00 a month pension, plus My Social Security.
That will be at 66 years old and 2 months. I will turn 60 in October, so it's not like it's forever.
What the heck, 6 years will go quick.
I think If they will let me bid on it, I may try to go for it.
Only sucky part, is I am pretty sure it is all 3 shifts. 8-4 one week, 4-11 next week, and 11-7 third week.
Or maybe you actually stay on it (each shift) 10 days, or 2 weeks, I am not sure.
But it will be the same (should be) money when I left when I got sick.

Oh yeah, the Lathe, is that what this thread is "supposed to be about"
Well, it's real cold right now, so I started mounting my KBIC 120 board in the work box, I got a few pretty nice ones from radio shack.(I am working up stairs of course) Mounted the board, and the Pot, and the power switch, but when I got to the DPDT switch,
come to find out it is On/ON/ with no center off spot. I think I would just feel better with a center off in the motor reverse switch.
So, back to radio shack, website does show my store having them in stock.
Supposed to go down to -8* tonight,
I thought were were in the clear, then it stats getting cold and snowing again.
We are lucky though, show id enough to be a nuisance, but nothing real bad.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Back