Wanting to power a lead screw

So it's staying at around 14, but the meter cant show it.
So the little board is probably working the way it should.

I don't know how they can sell that motor so cheap. The only problem I see is that it is a 3450 RPM motor so some reduction would be in order. Most lathe motors are 1725 RPM. A 2:1 speed reduction would just be a simple jackshaft, so it's not really a problem.

I don't know how they can sell that motor so cheap. The only problem I see is that it is a 3450 RPM motor so some reduction would be in order. Most lathe motors are 1725 RPM. A 2:1 speed reduction would just be a simple jackshaft, so it's not really a problem.

i am not 100% sure, but I think the speed knob shown is a Max motor speed setting, and there is another prevision for variable speed.
I would have to make sure.
I got the TM motor today.
Here is the plate.
Should work with a MC-60 board?
The seller said, I would not need a power supply, but some people put a choke unit on, he has them I don't know for sure yet though.

Anyone know if that flywheel is pressed on, or threaded on?
It won't up load here.Forget for now before I throw this computer through a wall.
I will try later.

i am not 100% sure, but I think the speed knob shown is a Max motor speed setting, and there is another prevision for variable speed.
I would have to make sure.
I got the TM motor today.
Here is the plate.
Should work with a MC-60 board?
The seller said, I would not need a power supply, but some people put a choke unit on, he has them I don't know for sure yet though.

Anyone know if that flywheel is pressed on, or threaded on?
It won't up load here.Forget for now before I throw this computer through a wall.
I will try later.

The problem with the sewing machine motor speed is the HP rating. It develops 3/4 HP at 3450, but that means 3/8 HP at 1725 because it only has half the torque of a 3/4 HP, 1725 Motor. Because it is a brushed DC motor with a PWM controller it may have much better torque through the speed range than a standard squirrel cage AC motor.

With regard to the MC-60 controller and the motor you picked up today, I would go with what the seller said given that he is a tech on those products. This is also what Inflight posted in the other thread. Based on what I have read, it looks like the MC-60 will run up to about 3HP, but I am sure that there are others that can give you a more definitive answer because I have no first hand experience with them.

I guess I need to get up to speed on the MC-60 because they seem to be popular here. The good news is that I have a 3HP treadmill motor sitting right next to me, so I'll order a MC-60 and see if I can break it.

The problem with the sewing machine motor speed is the HP rating. It develops 3/4 HP at 3450, but that means 3/8 HP at 1725 because it only has half the torque of a 3/4 HP, 1725 Motor. Because it is a brushed DC motor with a PWM controller it may have much better torque through the speed range than a standard squirrel cage AC motor.

With regard to the MC-60 controller and the motor you picked up today, I would go with what the seller said given that he is a tech on those products. This is also what Inflight posted in the other thread. Based on what I have read, it looks like the MC-60 will run up to about 3HP, but I am sure that there are others that can give you a more definitive answer because I have no first hand experience with them.

I guess I need to get up to speed on the MC-60 because they seem to be popular here. The good news is that I have a 3HP treadmill motor sitting right next to me, so I'll order a MC-60 and see if I can break it.

here is the one in flight just posted if I can get it to upload.
l can't get nothing to upload, it is at the bottom of this thread.
Oh, I guess you saw it.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/6462-Slowing-down-the-Drill-Press?p=259069#post259069

Forget what the spec is for the HP, the heat sink I understand is optional.
I know the resistor is only a few bucks.
I thought you could just reverse the motor leads for reverse, so this type of switch would work?

But for that matter, I am not spending $120.00 for that controller either.

FWIW... I did, and would do it again. At first, I started with a decent/inexpensive treadmill motor:

2ykzvjk.jpg

then, at some point the controller went belly up and decided on the KBMD-240D controller thinking it would also work on a better TEFC DC motor if one came along.

jq293t.jpg

After seeing this article:

9x20 Lathe Variable Speed DC Spindle Motor
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Spindle_Motor.htm

It told me which motor to begin searching for. Took awhile searching every day but ended up with a brand new/unused one on Ebay for $175 including shipping. Seller had a "Make offer" button there, so I did... got it for $130 + free shipping!

30544.jpg

...old pic but really like the torque at all rpms never once even appearing to get warm to the touch. But like I said, it took awhile to find it at a price I would pay.

[EDIT] forgot to mention... cool video on your good progress with the windshield motor. You're gonna love that mod... :)

[EDIT #2]...Argh, can't remember where atm but with the treadmill motor there is another mod you can do with it for cooling. I never did it but it involved cutting the end off of a 2 liter pop bottle, about 1/2 way, then using a heat gun to form/melt the bottle around a computer case fan. That did two things... sealed the exposed end closest to incoming chips from toasting the motor and cooled the motor when running it a low rpms. Maybe you can find it...

2ykzvjk.jpg

jq293t.jpg

30544.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW... I did, and would do it again. At first, I started with a decent/inexpensive treadmill motor:

then, at some point the controller went belly up and decided on the KBMD-240D controller thinking it would also work on a better TEFC DC motor if one came along.

After seeing this article:

9x20 Lathe Variable Speed DC Spindle Motor
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Spindle_Motor.htm

It told me which motor to begin searching for. Took awhile searching every day but ended up with a brand new/unused one on Ebay for $175 including shipping. Seller had a "Make offer" button there, so I did... got it for $130 + free shipping!

...old pic but really like the torque at all rpms never once even appearing to get warm to the touch. But like I said, it took awhile to find it at a price I would pay.

[EDIT] forgot to mention... cool video on your good progress with the windshield motor. You're gonna love that mod... :)

Thanks, Yeah, I got to get busy on that now.
I did see that Baldor DC motor before, it is nice.
That should all work, let us know how it works out.
Keep us posted.
here are the specs on the treadmill motor,
but it looks like one of the leads is missing, actually the brush and all.
If they will upload now.
So I may have to come up with something for the lead and brush.

DSCN0160 TM Motor.JPG DSCN0164.JPG

No, I am missing the brush, and this plastic part,
Its like $5.00 for the plastic part, and $15.00 for the brush(1)
It's not worth it.

there are all sorts of brush sets on e bay, FOR $50.00!

Motor brush cap used on Icon drive motors.jpg

Last edited:
Back